04 | ωαιтιn fσr уσυ

I don't take things too personal
But you made shit personal

Chapter 04 ~ Waitin For You

Owen Bailey

After endless hours of cruising around town and trying to acquire the money I had promised Raven, I finally stepped foot into Jonah's old, busted apartment around noon.

My eyes stung from the lack of sleep and my throat itched from all the alcohol I had been drinking. There was no doubt that I looked just as shitty as I felt, so I wasn't in the mood for any of Ake's bitching as soon as he set eyes on me.

I didn't even know what he was complaining about. I stopped listening after the first time he had ever complained to me. It was almost always about the same thing: some broad named Jillian who dumped him or his seemingly "endless" duties.

He thought he had it bad? Then he wouldn't have survived a day with Lucifer.

"Oh my fucking goodness," I groaned loudly. "Stop fucking whining, Ake. I'll rearrange your face the next time you complain about endless shit."

His gaze narrowed at me as he folded his arms on his chest in disapproval, a scowl quickly forming onto his face. "I didn't sign up for this shit! I'm not your fucking slave, you asshole."

"Yeah?" I challenged him with a slightly raised brow. Even after everything I had done for him—take him away from his broken home, give him somewhere to sleep, and feed him—he continued to take every given opportunity to bitch about every little thing that didn't go his way. "Well, you're free to leave at any time, prick. If I hear you complain one more time, I'll really give you something to complain about." 

He stood from the old, lumpy couch and stomped his foot on the floor in exasperation. His amber eyes shone with anger when his nostrils flared and he turned on his heel to storm into the living room. As soon as he was gone, I looked over to Jonah who had a pair of headphones pulled over his neck.

"Thanks for stitching him up, Jonah. The kid doesn't even appreciate it."

Jonah shrugged. "You know that's what I do, Owen. I'm always looking out for you and your stowaways."

I rolled my eyes at him and reached into my grocery bag to fish out a can of beer. I tossed it to him and continued my journey through the apartment to find Raven. As expected, she was sprawled across an old futon in one of the vacant bedrooms, reading a magazine and wearing nothing but a tank top and a pair of fiery red panties.

On any given day, I would've loved the sight of said panties, but after today's events, I really couldn't be bothered.

"Hey," I said to announce my presence.

"'Bout damn time," she snapped in a playful manner as she turned onto her side to face me. "I was beginning to think that I wasn't gonna get any ... oh my god! Owen! What the hell happened to your face?"

I sucked in a breath, not really wanting to talk about the black boy. "Babe, it's fine."

She leaped to her feet and made her way to me, grabbing onto the sides of my face to turn my attention to her. "No, it's not fine! Who did this to you? One of Lucifer's lackeys?" Her blue eyes gleamed with genuine concern even though I was totally fine and she didn't need to worry about me.

"No, it was just the stupid kid," I spat angrily just as I pushed past her. Keeping my attention on the far wall, I pulled my blood-stained shirt up over my head and tossed it to the floor. "I really don't wanna talk about it. I just need some rest."