06 | fαтнєr

You did your best, or did you?
Sometimes I think I hate you

Chapter 06 ~ Father

Owen Bailey

"Bullshit!" Raven shouted at the top of her lungs as she peered over her deck of cards, her light blue eyes wide with incredulity.

I pulled my brows together. "What? I'm not lying!"

She quirked a perfectly groomed, dark brow. "Really? Then prove it." Her gaze fell to the stack of cards in between us.

My eyes lingered on hers for a full moment, watching the way her lips stretched into a devious grin with a few, cute giggles flying past them. With a hesitant sigh, I reached over to the stack and retrieved the set of cards I had just put down, publicly revealing that they weren't the three queens I had claimed they were.

Raven grinned. "Hm, look at that."

I rolled my eyes at her. "Fuck you. You know I suck at this game. The least you could've done was take it easy on me."

"Right, so you can cream my ass in Blackjack? No thanks." She pressed her cards against her chest to hide them from me and motioned to the bong positioned between us. "Come on," she urged.

I gave her another eye-roll, but I ultimately grabbed onto the bong and the lighter. Placing my mouth into the mouthpiece, I flicked the lighter and lit the bowl filled with precious, crushed marijuana. In the matter of the seconds, the water began to bubble and smoke quickly filled the tube. I sucked in a large breath, inhaling the smoke, and tore my mouth away from the bong. After letting the marijuana settle for a few seconds, I breathed out a puff of smoke and fell back onto the floor, sighing.

"Damn, that was good."

I snuck a peek at Raven who was eyeing her cards closely. "Maybe you should talk to the kid. He's been jumpy all day."

I sat up straight. "Hell, no. I hate him. He's so ... pretentious."

"Agreed, but try to be the bigger person here. We don't want to treat him the same way Lucifer treated us."

Snapping my gaze to hers, I folded my arms against my chest. I couldn't believe she had the nerve to compare me to that fucker. "I am treating him a hell of a lot better than Lucifer. You care so much? You talk to him."

She scoffed. "Yeah, no."

I gave an inward laugh at that. "Why not? You've always wanted a gay best friend."

Raven gaped at me and chucked the discarded deck of cards at my face. "Yeah, I wanted one of the cute, feminine ones that can tell me which pair of jeans make my ass stand out, since my boyfriend is never of much help!"

"What?" I questioned as I threw my hands in the air in exasperation. "I always give you my opinion."

"Which is almost always..." She lowered her voice in an effort to mimic me, "...yeah, babe, looks good."

I shook my head in disbelief. What else did she want me to say? "Well, that's because everything looks good on you."

Raven broke into a full, smug grin and pretended to toss her hair over her shoulder. "Well, of course, but you could say it with a bit more enthusiasm."

"Yeah, babe, looks good!" I practically shouted at her, causing her to burst into a fit of laughter. I watched as she tried to gain control of herself, but she was epically failing.