30 | тєℓℓ мє уσυ ℓσνє мє

What's my hand without your heart to hold
I don't know what I'm living for
If I'm living without you

Chapter 30 ~ Tell Me You Love Me

Trey Carter

"You know what I think is ridiculously funny?" Max proposed the question as soon as we had pulled curbside of my residence building, Knott Hall, and had stepped out of the van to retrieve my suitcases from the trunk. I already heard a stiff sigh fall from Owen's mouth at what must've been Max's hundredth question of the car ride.

"What?" I asked, feigning interest, but all I really wanted him to do was to stop talking–not for my sake, but because it was more than evident that Scar and Owen were getting really irritated with Max's presence.

"That both you and Scar are as straight as a circle, but somehow–" He lifted his head to look at the tall, four-story building that towered before us and scoffed, "–you both wanted to go to a Catholic university because ... football."

Scar circled around the car to meet up with us and reached into the trunk to grab one of my suitcases. With a very apparent and very rude roll of his eyes, he shoved the suitcase into Max's chest, forcing him to hold it. "I'm Catholic," he stated, as though the answer was obvious. "And you've gotta stop being so annoying."

"And you've gotta stop being so annoying," Max mocked him in return. "And you've gotta stop being so dumb."

"I'm not dumb!" Scar's voice had risen significantly and he had taken a threatening step towards Max, closing the distance between them, but Max wasn't the least bit affected. He opened his mouth to make what I assumed would be a snide remark, but I cleared my throat to silence them both.

"Guys," I said with a stern look on my face. All three of the people who were dear and close to my heart turned their heads to look at me expectantly. "I flew you guys out here so that you'd support me, not so that you'd bicker all the damn time. Just accept the fact that none of you guys like each other, and let's help me move in, okay?" Scar and Max exchanged final looks, but they appeared to let their differences aside as they both set out to gather my bags from the trunk.

Without anyone uttering so much as another word, we made our journey through the lobby of Knott Hall which was composed of college-bound teenagers like myself who couldn't wait to start the most exciting years of their lives along with their parents who were scared for their children's impending independence. Luckily for me, I had already dealt with the whole "you've-grown-up-so-much" speech before I left home because my parents weren't fortunate enough to help me move in. They did, however, promise me that they would fly into Indiana to see my first football game; they already took the necessary measures to get that weekend off.

There was a boy behind the front desk that put on the biggest of smiles as soon as he saw me. "Hi, there! Welcome to Knott Hall, the best residence hall on campus! We're so proud to have you be apart of our Juggernaut family!"

I glanced over my shoulder to see that Max and Scar had disappeared–probably to explore the lobby's amenities, which featured a colorful common lounge with a flat screen TV, a pool table, and a ping-pong table. Owen was the only one who stood by my side, but he didn't look fully there.

I returned my attention to the desk attendant. "Yeah, it feels great to be here."

"What's your name so I can give you your keys?"