21 | тrαιnωrєcк

It's funny you said we'll never make it
But look how far we've come

Chapter 21 ~ Trainwreck

Trey Carter

Owen was truly a multifaceted guy. There was a side of Owen that many people never got to see, a side that wanted to repay for his sins, a side that was strangely interested in old, run-down bookstores, a side that seemed to genuinely care about a person from the past. This side didn't come out often because Owen spent most of his time being a selfish, egotistical prick with enough racist jokes to fill a book, but when it did, it was quite beautiful to see.

I didn't want our date to end as abruptly as it did; I had been hoping we'd get to ride the Ferris wheel and share a kiss or two to put a perfect end to this wonderful day, but instead, we were going out our way to make it Matthew's place in a timely manner. Owen didn't share why he had the sudden urge to check in, and it came to my attention that he wasn't going to.

After we arrived at our destination, he led the way to the gated apartment complex looming ahead of us and did the honors of ringing the intercom. The machine beeped, and the tall gate slowly crept open to allow us to slip through. Owen practically took off into a near sprint, leaving me to helplessly trail behind and to inwardly miss the feeling of his hand in mine.

With quick, strategic steps, Owen found his way into one particular apartment building, and after climbing a set of stairs, we both stood in front of a door marked 203. For a moment, Owen was skeptical because he didn't knock right away. Eventually, however, he mustered up the strength to knock on the door.

Seconds later, the door flew open with a small tan boy with dark hair and matching eyes on the other side of the threshold. His eyes flocked to Owen's instantly, and a smile quickly made its way onto his face. "I'm so happy to see you!" he exclaimed as he wrapped his arms around Owen's neck and pressed his body to his. I watched as Owen seemed to return the hug with no reservations whatsoever.

"Matthew, what's going on?" he asked while they continued to hug. "On the phone, you were..."

Matthew broke the hug and walked into his apartment with his back facing us, leaving Owen to cautiously follow him. "I don't know where the hell Ake went, but Lucifer blamed me for his disappearance and, well, he fucked me." He plopped onto the sofa that was in our line of sight and clicked the TV on, like what he had just said was no big deal.

Owen followed his movements by lowering himself onto the sofa and grabbing onto his hand, a gesture that did weird things to my heart. "Matthew..."

He shrugged. "It's whatever, I'm over it. I just thought you'd be able to make me feel better."

Owen tilted his head to the side. "How would I do that?"

"You know how," Matthew mused as he placed his hands on Owen's shoulders and slowly dragged them down the length of his arms. The conversation was clearly taking a turn for the worse, but Owen didn't do much to stop it; he remained frozen as Matthew touched him inappropriately, and he continued to do nothing even when Matthew's hand found itself at the back of his neck, using it to bring their faces closer, and pressing their lips together shortly thereafter.

I didn't know long they swallowed each other's faces for because I stopped counting after a while. Here I thought things were actually starting to change for the better. I thought after Owen opened up to me about his past and held my hand at the carnival, we would have established a mutual like for each other, but now that I had the privilege of seeing Matthew and Owen engage in a full make-out session, I quickly realized I was wrong.