12 | gєт вαcк

I wanna talk back and get yelled at
Fight for nothing like we used to

Chapter 12 ~ Get Back

Owen Bailey

Trey was gone.

Raven's words echoed throughout my head endlessly as my brain struggled to piece together what that could mean. I knew what it meant—that Lucifer wasn't going to leave me alone until he killed me, that he'd kill me and everyone that I had ever cared about, that he would win, again—but I refused to listen to what she had just told me. I figured it'd be better for my own sanity if I forced myself to believe that she was joking.

Before Raven showed up as the bearer of bad news, I was actually enjoying my day. I had forgiven her for disclosing personal information about me and allowed her to take Trey along with her to retrieve the guns I had ordered form Diablo (because a man's gotta protect himself), despite having underlying doubts about her capability to carry out a plan on her own.

When they left the apartment, I sat back on the futon and watched reruns of How I Met Your Mother simply because it was on and I was too lazy to change it. Jonah bothered me several times about needing money to buy food and cigarettes, even though he knew all about the current predicament we were in. But because I lived in a house full of brats who took everything for granted, I shoved twenty dollars in his face and told him to leave me alone.

Somewhere in the middle of the show, I had thought about what life would be like if I wasn't constantly looking over my shoulder. I would've gotten a real job where I didn't have to worry about quitting once one of Lucifer's minions found me. I would've visited Liam more often, knowing that I wasn't putting him in danger. I probably would've bought my dad more birthday cakes even when it wasn't his birthday, just because. It sucked that a stupid decision I had made when I was still a teenager was still haunting me in my adult life. I would give anything and everything to live a normal life, even if that meant selling Trey to Lucifer.

So when Raven returned with a bright smile on her red-stained lips and the straps of a backpack with an unknown school's logo patched on the front clutched tightly in her hands, without Trey, I was livid. "Are you fucking kidding me?" I shouted. "Tell me you're kidding, please, tell me you're fucking with me!"

Raven's perfectly groomed eyebrows were sewn together in a straight line. "Baby, it's okay. I got him to give us money." She slid the backpack off her shoulders and unzipped it, allowing me to see the cash that was nearly spilling out of the bag. "Ten thousand dollars."

A smile had made its way onto her face and seeing it only made me angrier. "I don't fucking care about money!" I barked at an incredibly loud volume that made Raven cower away from me. "I tell you to do one thing, one thing, and you fuck everything up!"

She shook her head. "But I thought we needed him for money. We've got it now, so why are you—"

"The money means nothing if Lucifer is still on our ass!" I yelled angrily. I was just seconds away from completely losing my shit.

Raven's lips downturned into a frown. "What does that mean?"

"I was going to sell him to Lucifer in exchange for our freedom. He and his family are a big deal in Summer Hill. Do you have any idea what that means? No, you fucking don't! Because you ruined it! You useless whore!" I was vaguely aware that I had stooped to an all-time low, but at the same time, I was very aware of my rage. Besides, it wasn't like what I said wasn't true. The only thing Raven was good for was sleeping with people to get information out of them.