18 | ι нαтє уσυ, ∂σn'т ℓєανє мє

I feel like I can't breathe
Just hold me, don't touch me

Chapter 18 ~ I Hate You, Don't Leave Me

Owen Bailey

I have been on this earth for twenty two years, and yet, I had never gone on a date before. Raven was the only real girlfriend I ever had, but even then, we never bothered with formalities. We enjoyed each other's company without having to worry about labels or special events to mark certain phases in our relationship.

To put it simply, this was going to be my first date, ever, and I had no idea how to act.

I had considered simply being myself, but it dawned on me that I had to do something spectacular to win Trey's heart. I wasn't that far from doing so, judging by our recent interactions, but I couldn't take the risk of shattering his trust before it was time.

So naturally, I called on Raven for help, but she wasn't responding in the way that I wanted her to. "Just be a dick," she stated with a feigned smile, "it's what you're good at."

I rolled my eyes at her, and then turned to face the wall mirror to examine my appearance for the hundredth time that day. "Seriously, Raven. This could be a deal breaker."

The blonde crossed the room to plop onto the bed that she shared with Jonah. I heard her sigh before she surprised by asking, "Do you like him?"

"What?" I whipped around to face her, brows furrowing in confusion. "Why would you even ask that?"

Raven pulled her knees up to her chest and began to rock back and forth at the edge of the bed. "You had sex with him, Owen," she deadpanned. Her bright blue eyes that always appeared to radiate with warmth had grown dull and disinterested. "And don't give me that 'I-sleep-with-everyone' nonsense."

I pressed my lips together, silencing myself before I could give her the 'I-sleep-with-everyone' card.

Raven glared at me for a little while longer, and then she relaxed her composure. "Look, I just don't get it. You say you want to sell him to Lucifer, despite how heartless and selfish that is, but you're having sex with him and going on dates? What purpose does that serve?"

"I have to gain his trust, Raven."

"Why?" She narrowed her eyes at me. "If you're that desperate to clear your name, why can't you drug him and sell him to Lucifer before he even wakes up? Why do you need his trust?"

Groaning, I set my attention on my reflection again. For the first time in a long while, I had managed to comb my hair back so that it wasn't a tousled mess. "He's still useful. Prime example, he let us stay in his house. Why? Because I wooed my way into his pants.  Once I get him to fall head over heels for me, I'll get everything that I want out of him, then I'll give him to Lucifer to exploit."

Raven still looked unconvinced. "So you're going to make him fall in love with you, then break his heart? As much as I want to believe in your selfish intentions, I don't buy it. You could've sold him by now, but you haven't, which means that you have feelings for him and you're stalling."

I scoffed. "Yeah, I have feelings for him, all right. Feelings of hate." After admiring my reflection for the last time, I spun on my heel and made my way to the exit. "Just hold down the fort, okay? Don't let Ake out of your sight."