Chapter 9

"Niklaus you are causing a scene ! I demand you keep yourself well behaved tonight ! Your mother is not feeling well and I will not have you making a fool of this family in front of her guests !" The King muttered angrily.

"Why do I always seem to be the one you blame of any of this family's wrong doing ?" The prince shot back.

Caroline hadn't moved, hadn't spoken a word.
The King ;with his blonde hair and blue eyes, looked like the most evil existence she had ever laid eyes on.
His arrogance and dictate manner only fueled what hate Caroline had for him.
Caroline felt her hands begin to tremble,
Oh how badly she wanted to end his life just as he ended her father's.

"You seem familiar ." The King suddenly caught her stare.

Caroline met his gaze, his eyes seemed to search for a familiar name in them.

"Caroline Seldom your majesty." She curtsied avoiding eye contact as hers truly matched her father's and would give her away.
He gave up seconds later, not finding her worthy enough to address her again he quickly turned back to his son
"Mark my words Niklaus if you cause another scene-"
"I will not father . "
Caroline sensed a hint of fear in The prince's tone .
The King coldly patted him on the shoulder and walked into the crowd, searching for his wife ...who was enjoying herself between the guests, not at all sick as The King claimed her to be.

Caroline suddenly began to remember Klaus's words to her and realized again what her purpose was tonight .
For the first time she started to panic,
she gave Klaus a quick horrified glance before scurrying off into the crowd ,out the room, and into the dark hallways of the castle.

The Prince seemed to be right behind her and as she started to run, she felt him flash in front of her causing her to bump into his chest and stumble on to the floor.
"Get away from me !" She cried.

"I'm so sorry love. Look. I didn't mean to scare you with my words back there, please forgive me . I'm an insensitive brute." He  said kneeling down next to her holding her hands gently.

"Then why-"
"I can't explain it...you seem to bring out the truth in me. I just wanted to let you know that I'm willing to change love...because....well because I fancy you ." He smiled while his eyes gave her a warm hold to her own.

Caroline held his eyes for only a short time when suddenly she snatched away her hands from his,
"I don't trust you."
"I don't blame you.", he chuckled darkly as he ran a hand through his hair snapping out of whatever soft side he had quickly showed her in the previous few seconds.

"I wasn't lying when I said I'm the worst of them all." He darkly muttered.
Caroline stood up and dusted herself off, she quickly analyzed her situation.
Niklaus was currently the only way she would be able to get closer to the king & figure out a way to the destroy the royal family...but Niklaus was also the most dangerous of them all.
Yet she suddenly realized she didn't fear him. Here she was,human and all,in front of a vampire that could easily end her life yet she didn't fear him.
Although she couldn't quite put a finger on how she felt about him she settled with knowing he was the key to her revenge.

"Show me." She whispered her expression blank .

The prince frowned, "What?".
"If what you claim is true, show me that you're the worst of them all. Shows  me what you are capable of."
She got up and slowly stepped closer to him not sure on what exactly she was asking of him.

"Don't be a fool love, I knew I should've stayed away from you...you don't know the danger you're in with even being alone with me right now." Niklaus cursed himself yet found himself coming closer to her.