02

Splitting up into teams, the Autobots took to scouring the city for the Decepticon threat. Why they were here, attacking this city in particular, was no mystery. Before leaving the base, Ratchet had promptly told everyone that there was energon readings coming from the city. Only it seemed like the Decepticons knew this too, but did not know where exactly it was. That much could be told by the amount of sheer destruction which had befallen the human habitat.

Shifting forms and speeding through the space bridge took a matter of minutes to suddenly get transported into the destroyed city. Buildings were falling apart, in the doorways faces peeked out. Frightened and confused, the people stayed were they were in case whatever had attacked them returned for round two. Avoiding burning and upturned cars, Optimus Prime set his sights on the figure at the end of the street. Slowly the figure turned and opened fire on him, swerving from side to side to avoid taking a hit, Optimus shifted form as soon as he was close enough.

Jumping through the air he tackled the Decepticon drone to the ground. Both tumbled and scrapped and kicked away from the other. Standing up and stepping back a few steps, Optimus glanced over his opponent. Behind the drone, a few people peeked out of the broken windows. If there were survivors nearby, they couldn't fight. As much as it was clear to him that the drone was ready and willing to fight anywhere, Optimus wasn't. He wasn't willing to endanger those that had survived this attack. He was not going to put them in further harm.

"Optimus, we've encountered multiple enemies and civilians." Ironhide said over the intercom.

If given the chance, he would have answered. Only he couldn't because the drone in front of him had suddenly ran forward in his direction. At least it had moved away from the hiding humans, that much made Optimus somewhat relieved, if that was the right word to use. Ion blaster aimed directly at him, Optimus managed to tackle the drone before he fired. Managing to push it away from another building where civilians were, he stepped back.

"Stop doing this," Optimus spoke indifferently, he already knew the drone wouldn't listen, or in fact change its mind. But he was not one for giving up on a cause, or trying; so try he did, he tried to get through to whatever shred of decency may remain within the drone. He would never lose hope that something remained, if he did, then what hope was there for any of them? Some good had to remain, somewhere, deep down, it had to.

"I'm just following orders." Was the sarcastic reply given. The reply didn't surprise Optimus in the slightest. It was either going to be this, or silence. He wasn't sure which he would've preferred more.

"Can you not see how wrong those orders are?" Optimus questioned, yet again already knowing this was a waste of time. Although he was never one for truly thinking like a defeatist. He'd had too many of these conversations and they always ended in the same way; him walking away and leaving whomever on the ground, the life and light fading from their spark.

The drone in response opened fire on him, but his fire wasn't concentrated solely on him. Optimus briefly heard the screams behind him and knew that if this went on for any longer than it did, then more people would be hurt. He had few options, other than running and distracting the fire away from the people and dodging the best he could. Luckily the drone's aim was everywhere, the shots frantic and sloppy and Optimus did not find himself being shuttled to the side from a blast. The attack he retaliated with was quick and final, the only thing the drone could do was let out a spurting noise. The firing ceased, the sword through the chest cavity remain and Optimus retracted it swiftly, watching the lifeless body fall to the ground. Another spark was snubbed out from a pointless skirmish that didn't need to be.

"Ironhide, guide and protect the civilians to a safe destination." Optimus replied to his comrade's earlier message, finger pressed against the com-link within his ear.