17

Calm had enveloped the base. It was that awkward calm before something possibly terrible happened. Everyone was in no doubt that something terrible was going to happen. It was obvious something terrible was going to happen. No one was in denial over the moment. But that didn't mean that they had all accepted what was no doubt about to unfold.

Sitting around and waiting was all that could really be done. In the distance Fowler was ranting down the phone about how they needed all possible help, be that air force, army, and oddly enough – which caused everyone to eye him strangely – the navy.

"Are we likely to need the navy?" Miko had whispered up at Bulkhead, he looked puzzled before slowly shaking his head.

"No, I don't think so. Are we?" His question got aimed towards Ironhide, who in turn looked at the two of them with a frown.

He was standing with his arms crossed and a frown already on his face. Upon seeing them two looking up at him with wide questionable eyes, he sighed and shook his head. "Not unless the Decepticons have moved to sea based forms." Ironhide stated.

"Oh," Miko said lowly and rubbed her chin in thought.

Away from the three of them, Arcee, Smokescreen and Bumblebee stood waiting patiently for orders, or something in general to do. Minnie sat on Smokescreen's foot plate, her head leaned against her hands. Beside her Raf was sitting in a similar position on Bumblebee's foot plate. "I don't like waiting." Minnie declared. "Waiting really sucks."

"I know," Raf responded and looked up at her. Looking up as Ratchet and Optimus walked into the main room, they both jumped up. Jack who was standing beside Arcee moved to stand beside Raf.

"What's going on?" The elder boy asked curiously.

Neither the medic or the leader answered his question. Ratchet walked to the computer and started typing quickly on the keys. Jack, Raf and Minnie exchanged a look when Ratchet seemed to ignore the question. Looking at the map when numerous red dots started flashing, everyone went on the defensive. "What is this?" Ironhide asked while tapping Ratchet on the shoulder. "We should get there, we shouldn't be standing around here!"

Ratchet looked at his friend and nodded slowly. "As much as I agree with you, Ironhide. Something doesn't seem right."

"Doesn't seem right?" It was Smokescreen who voiced this utterly confused. "They're attacking numerous places! Many people will get hurt, we have to go! It doesn't matter if it doesn't seem right, we need to help those people!"

"They are attacking without a cause," Optimus said thus earning silence in the room. "None of the key Decepticons are present, which means that this is most likely a trap. No matter, you are right, Smokescreen." He paused. "As such Bulkhead, Arcee and Bumblebee you will take Miko, Jack and Raf to safety. Once this has been achieved go deter the Decepticons." This naturally caused the three teenagers to exclaim in annoyance, and the three Autobots to nod. "You cannot be here, considering the attacks are drawer closer, the likelihood of the base being discovered is high." Optimus waved a hand to the map. He was right, a few red dots had slowly appeared in the area which was the town. Turning he looked to Ironhide and Ratchet, "I'm sorry to ask this of you old friend, but we need you." This was directed at Ratchet, who for the most part stayed clear of battle.

Watching as everyone split up and went on their separate ways. Minnie walked slowly over. "Me?"

"Go with Fowler."

"For real?" Minnie asked, "I know I shouldn't say this because you'll disagree; but I can help."

Optimus leaned down, "Minnie, you said that I would be a target, but so would you. Beings like you make excellent infiltrators, and yes; I know you're not nor have you infiltrated this base." Optimus said before she could exclaim something in contradiction. "But Shockwave wouldn't miss an opportunity to get you back in his lab. They will turn you into the weapon you were meant to be."