19

Picking at what skin remained around her wounds, Minnie looked up at the city scape. Dark smoke trailed up into the air. Wincing when she had hit a nerve, an actual human nerve not a robotic one, she turned and watched as a line of men walked towards the city limits. She watched as they walked past the guards and ran down the streets, every so often ducking into shattered buildings and crumbling alleyways.

Hearing a gun behind her she looked over her shoulders. "Miko! What the hell are you doing? Take that back!" Minnie exclaimed and ran after the teenager as she stupidly began to climb up a piece of fencing which a guard was not standing near to.

"Miko!" Jack and Raf appeared, even Fowler appeared beside them too.

"That girl," Fowler grumbled.

Minnie frowned. "We have to get her back." The three males nodded agreeing with her. They couldn't leave her out there. "Where'd she get the funky gun?" At this Fowler pointed over to the second tent. "She is so sneaky," Minnie commented. She had to hand it to Miko, she had smooth stealing skills.

"Well," Jack swung his arms loosely by his side. "Here we go." He darted forward with Raf and Minnie following closely behind. Scaling the fence was rather easy, landing in a crouch on the other side they looked around. Miko was not nearby, of course she'd immediately run off somewhere.

"How are we going to find her?" Raf asked.

"Where Bulkhead is, she'll be." Jack answered and peered around a building.

"Easier said than done. Where's Bulkhead?" Raf followed Jack as they crept down the street.

Minnie reached up and pressed the device in her ear. She still had it, and she was grateful of this. "Miko's in the city." She said quietly, there was a crackled reply. Jack and Raf looked at her. "One of them will find her."

——

No matter how many drones were shot or cut down, more appeared. Fighting alongside the humans, Optimus had to them all credit for their bravery. For they were all fighting with incredible bravery. With their help, the task of dispatching drones became easier. But despite the fact that working with them in this battle was becoming easier, the fight just seemed to get harder.

The centre of the city was where Megatron was no doubt trying to find Unicron. Optimus did not know what he was doing. This was different than the last scare of an awakening. There was no volcano which seemed to be the source. This was just a city, high sky touching buildings with shimmering glass windows, smooth streets and many, many citizens.

They had all split up into teams with the army. From each avenue they were all slowly closing in on the centre of the city, and Megatron's stronghold. Hearing the roar of engines, Optimus briefly looked up to see Starscream shoot ahead, on his tail were numerous jets which were firing at him. A small spark ignited on the Decepticon's wing, he dodged and ducked and swerved. Unsteadily he disappeared past some buildings. Starscream's earlier companion was nowhere to be seen. Soundwave was no doubt by Megatron's side, which was no doubt where Starscream was heading for now.

The mere thought of them three being in the same place at the same time seemed to spur him on. This needed to be stopped. This all had gone too far. Everyone seemed tired by this endless fighting. It needed to come to an end soon or a stalemate would appear. And that honestly wasn't something Optimus wanted to happen. Given the chance Megatron would send something their way.

Grabbing a hold of a drones arm, Optimus tugged backwards as it tried pulling itself free. All this resulted in was a painful groan of metal. Using his blade, Optimus sliced upwards, throwing the dismembered arm over his shoulder he took to shooting the flailing drone. He had honestly lost count with the number of drones he'd had to fight so far. Too many, way too many. Fighting like this just seemed like a waste of life. These drones ran into battle on the whim of Megatron, they didn't get anything out of it. Perhaps they'd get some misguided pride from surviving, but for that to happen; first they'd actually have to live.