Chapter Twelve

I hated Maisy. Well, not her really, but what she represented. For days now, Carson and Joey had been arguing nonstop over who had more ownership over her. Aunt Nelly was beginning to regret letting them have her in the first place and I was refraining from telling her I told her so.

It wasn't poor Maisy's fault, though. In fairness she was adorable and we all pretty much loved her instantly. In fact, after a few days passed and she wasn't brand new anymore, we ended up taking care of her more than the twins. They liked the fun parts of having a puppy; not the actual training process. I'd known this was going to happen.

Now was just one of those days where the boys were ripping eachother's heads off. Aunt Nelly was at her shop with Liss and Brady-Brady, no surprise, was very interested in her cooking skills-and, on my day off, I had to babysit the minions. Normally Sally would have babysat them, but she was staying the night at a friend's house. Her friend was also into Sheba shows and they were both practicing for the upcoming horse show.

So it was just me, Mae, and the boys. While they carried on, Mae and I sat on our butts watching Disney princess movies. She was very much into Disney. I didn't mind because it gave me an excuse to watch them. At heart, I would always be a kid. It was a relief to watch kid movies sometimes. They were so uncomplicated and you weren't worried that everyone was gonna suddenly die. They were predictable and sweet. I appreciated that more and more.

We were watching Brave, hating that there wasn't a Scottish prince for Merida but still loving it. How could you hate a movie with a kickass princess and her adorable bear-cub brothers? Although, she did deserve the 'Worst Daughter of the Year' award.

"Those boys are so silly," I muttered, sinking lower into the couch. I'd learned a long time ago that, unless punches or other things were being thrown, it was best to just let them have at it.

Mae looked up at me with her big brown eyes. "I think they're just dumb."

I grinned. "Nah, they're just...acting dumb."

My eight year old cousin rolled her eyes at me. "Whatever. They're dumb."

"So you're saying you'd rather have Merida's brothers?" I nodded to the TV screen.

"Yeah!" Mae agreed enthusiastically. "At least they don't talk."

I couldn't argue with that logic.

When I heard the crash of something either falling down or breaking, I decided that the boys had enough free rein to bicker.

Looking at Mae, I said, "Well, I guess that's my cue."

She flashed me a thumbs up and a positive smile.

I laughed under my breath and started toward the majority of the noise. They were upstairs, of course. This farmhouse was so old that whenever the boys would be running around upstairs the downstairs literally shook. The ceiling fans rattled and the noise carried like a bullet going off.

When I finally reached their room, Carson was storming out, Maisy in his hands. Joey quickly took off after him, and Carson's stomps became a jog.

I caught him by the tail end of his shirt before he could get any father. "Alright, what's wrong now?" I asked them.

Joey immediately exploded with, "Carson's saying that because he came up with her name, he gets to keep her more than I do! But I was the one who worked my butt off to get her!"

Carson snorted. "Puh-lease! I'm the one who takes care of her all the time! And I'm the only one who still works to get her food! If it were up to you, Maisy would go hungry!"