Chapter Eighteen

There are very few things I know about life. But a few things I was sure of:

  Landon Harrison was rich. Upon actually asking some people, I found out he did, in fact, live in that big ol’ mansion. The family, the Harrisons, were, in fact, lawyers. Apparently the whole lawyer thing dated back, too.

  Landon Harrison did attend my school. I looked at a few records to double check. I still didn’t actually remember him, though. I was sure Isaac or Joanna would.

  Leland Harrison was already under their father’s law firm—yeah, they had their own law firm. It was actually up in New York, where all the other fancy law firms seemed to be, and they were partnered with another family of big-time-no-games lawyers.

  Landon Harrison was attending Harvard Law in Cambridge. That was a nice little detail he also managed to leave out. If he was so ashamed and embarrassed by his family’s wealth, why go to one of the most prestigious colleges? It was madness. Plus, how unfair was that to not tell me and then say he supposedly had this huge thing for me? Why tell me that if he was just going to go back to Massachusetts after his break was over?

  Landon had told me to stay put while he went inside that night. Whatever he’d been about to say, I would never know. I took that opportunity to sneak away. I might have stayed, but I was pretty sure he would be a while and besides that Viola chick had seemed pretty perturbed by my existence. My head was still reeling from all this information that’d been thrown at me that night, just a week ago. I hadn’t seen Landon since then and, honestly, I didn’t really want to. I was horribly embarrassed of my drunken status that night. Besides, how was I going to respond to him saying he liked me? One guy had been interested in me my whole life. Even if I did want to date Landon—which I didn’t—I had no idea how to be with someone else. I didn’t even know how to date, really! Isaac and I were just kids when we started “dating”—which basically meant we held hands and ate lunch together at school.

  Basically, to ignore the conflicting thoughts in my head, I threw myself at work. Insanely, I started missing school. At least I’d had something to do. Now I just took extra shifts for everyone—which worked out great since Lulu was currently on her second honeymoon. I wasn’t sure how much fun she could be having while two and a half months pregnant, but oh well. It wasn’t a long honeymoon anyway.

  Needless to say, my mind was going a little crazy since Lulu’s wedding. I’d been pretty preoccupied and, allegedly, in a weird mood; or so my cousin so lovingly put it.

  The day after Lulu’s wedding she’d asked if anything was wrong and I’d denied it. She’d left me alone, but apparently she’d had enough.

  “So,” she told me one day, closing my bedroom door behind her, “I’m not leaving this room until you tell me what the heck is wrong with you.”

  The way she was talking, hands crossed tightly over her chest, made me think she already knew what the heck was wrong with me. But I played coy and said, “Nothing. I’m just mentally preparing myself for school to start back up.”

  Lissie wasn’t buying it though. Making herself comfortable, she let her back rest against my door. Clearly, she was not going to let me leave until some version of the truth came out. “You wanna spill or should I tell you what I’ve been thinking?”