Chapter Fifteen

It was a week before Lulu’s wedding. To say she was freaking out would be an understatement

  “You have two kids with him,” I’d pointed out to her yesterday at work, “and a previous marriage. Why’re you so flipped out?”

  “We’re happy!” was the first thing Lulu had blurted out. “I mean, really, really happy.”

  “I gather that’s why you’re getting remarried…”

  “It’s just, I’m worried.”

  She’d been like that for at least two hours—half of the time saying what she meant and other times just staying purposefully vague so I’d ask her questions. “Why’re you worried?” I’d finally caved, knowing she would talk endlessly.

  And, just like that, Lulu had turned into a sobbing mess. “What if everyone judges me?” she’d cried. “I mean, for taking him back after he cheated on me….I know he’ll never do it again. We’re really happy. But…I don’t know if I can take those judgmental looks.”

  “Lulu!” I’d scolded, sitting beside her where she’d collapsed. “This is your day. And you love Cam. Don’t let what other people are thinking ruin that. Screw them!”

  And, basically, that was how I came to feel like such a lying, piece of shit. Had I not been judging Lulu the day I’d received her wedding invitation in the mail; wondering how she could take him back so easily?

  I was in the middle of berating myself for being such an awful and hypocritical person that when the doorbell rang I was scared out of my wits. I was in the living room alone. The twins were…well, they were somewhere, and Sally and Mae had gone with Aunt Nelly to help with the shop. Liss was on a date with Brady. What a sad, pathetic life I lived. It consisted of work and babysitting and school.

  I was half hoping that, while I got up to answer the door, it was a serial killer willing to put me out of my misery.

  No such luck.

  To my great surprise, Piper stood on the porch, smiling tiredly at me. She had baby Hunter in her arms and a large diaper bag slung over her shoulder. Um…was I missing something?

  “Hi,” she greeted breathlessly. “Sorry I’m late.”

  Late….? I stood there, utterly confused and trying to act like I wasn’t. “That’s, uh, fine.”

  And then things just got weirder when Piper gingerly passed her baby over to me. “Thank you so much for doing this. I know it’s your day off. Lulu is a huge mess. She’s being melodramatic, but, you know, I gotta act like she isn’t.” She rolled her eyes and smiled teasingly.

  “Yeah,” I said slowly. “She was kinda freaking out at work yesterday.”

  Piper slung the diaper bag off her shoulder and handed it to me. “It makes absolutely no sense. Well, it makes perfect sense, actually. I just wish she wouldn’t take every little thing people say to heart, you know? Cam’s aunt is such a bitch and it’s really getting to Lulu. Anyway, I hafta get her outta the house for a little bit. Normally, Liam would stay with Hunter, but he’s gotta crapload of training to do and, well, he just can’t watch Hunter. So we really appreciate you sacrificing your day off!”