Chapter Twenty-Eight

"Shit....."

Landon, to his credit, looked like he was considering giving me the benefit of the doubt. If that didn't speak millions about him, I didn't know what did. I mean, let's recap here: I was running down the hall with my shirt halfheartedly buttoned, my hair a rat's nest, and I was pretty sure my shoes were on the wrong on the wrong feet. And there was Landon, after I'd just slammed into him and kept on running, waiting for me to explain myself.

"What...." He scratched the back of his head, eyes darting towards the end of the hall. "What are you doing here?"

Damn, he asked the real questions. I had a choice, either I lied like hell and came up with some wacky excuse he would never believe or tell the truth. And after all I'd been through, I wasn't in any position to tell a lie.

"I can explain," I started.

At that point I heard a door squeal open. Landon and I both turned at the same time, taking in the same view; Leland in the doorframe with sweatpants on and no shirt....and mussed up hair. I figured maybe he thought the sweatpants made it seem like he was in bed the whole time...but it didn't help. If that was even his intention.

Landon's fists were balled up at his sides, his mouth a definitive line and he jaw gnashed together.

Fuck.

I'd fucked up so much. Goddamnit I was so stupid, so so freaking stupid! Regardless of where my stupid head was at, Landon had feelings for me. And here I was shacking up with a brother I knew he had zero respect for. If it'd been anyone else, maybe he wouldn't be so hurt. But it wasn't. It was Leland. And, more importantly, it wasn't him.

"God, you're almost normal, getting home so late," Leland muttered.

Idiot. He soooooo was not helping!

Landon said nothing. Not a damn word.

Either his brother didn't notice or didn't care, because he carried on with, "Isn't it way past your bedtime, young man? Seriously, are we gonna need to have a talk?"

"Damnit, Leland!" I hissed in annoyance and desperation.

"Oh, lighten up, bro, it's just a joke."

"Yeah." Landon's voice startled me. I really expected him to just stay silent the whole time, so when he spoke I was caught completely off guard. "I'm sure it is to you."

Without another word, he started stalking off to the other end of the hallway, presumably to his room.

I looked at Leland in a panic. He grimaced a little and nodded encouragingly towards where his brother was going. Right! As if I'd follow him! He needed privacy, not my lame excuses!

Leland, ever the helpful friend in a crisis, saw my hesitation and whispered, "Pussy!"

God, I'd really made out with this guy. Rolling my eyes, I basically jogged to catch up with Landon. I crossed his room literally seconds before he shut the door. Either he didn't notice me or didn't care because he just kept walking until he sunk into his office chair.

Shutting the door gently behind me, I began, "Look, I'm really sorry—"

"You don't hafta apologize," he interjected calmly. Really calmly, actually. "It's none of my business."

"But I feel like I owe you an explanation."

"Marley, it's fine. Honestly."

"But—"