Chapter Forty-One

"I was thinking spring next year? Spring is such a lovely time for a wedding. Especially outside."

"Hmm, but what about rain? Spring means rain."

"Oh, I'm sure we won't have to worry about rain..."

"You have to be open to the possibility, Felicity."

They'd been going like this for hours, Aunt Nelly and Lissie. Liss would say one thing she wanted for the wedding, and her mother would combat it with worst-case-scenarios.

I sat at the end of the table sipping my coffee with a barely contained smirk. It was kind of nice to be at this end of the spectrum. When it'd been my wedding, Aunt Nelly pretty much ran rough shot over me. I didn't really mind, being as though I wasn't able to pay for much myself and I was a little in over my head with decorations and such. My simple backyard wedding was thrown out the door in mere minutes after exploring the possibilities.

Liss rubbed her temples with her slender fingers. At this point, I half expected her to run off with Brady and just elope. I couldn't say I blamed her. "Mother...maybe if we just—"

"I'm not trying to overrule you, Felicity," Aunt Nelly interjected. "I'm simply being practical."

"Yes, but..."

My phone going off deeply disturbed their planning. Both heads shot over my way. But while my cousin's eyes filled with gratitude for the interruption, Aunt Nelly's were clearly annoyed.

Smiling sheepishly, I excused myself to answer the call. "You suck, I had the best seat in the house and I was completely unnoticed until you ruined everything. I've lost everything because of you."

"Should I...call back?"

I sighed dramatically. "No, it's all lost now, there's no point."

"So...do I get an explanation of this, orrrrr..."

"That depends." I started pacing the living room, a goofy smile on my face.

"On what?" Landon pressed. He had an obviously flirtatious tone. He thought he was hot shit now that he'd held my hand a few times and almost stolen a kiss. Oh, and received flowers upon his spring break arrival. Needless to say, the man was feeling a bit inflated. He had to be brought down.

Not by me, but by someone somewhere, surely.

"How much longer it's gonna take you to get here."

There were no plans. No movies arranged, no shopping setup, no itinerary. He was simply picking me up and we'd figure it out then. There was something exciting and terrifying about that. Any time we'd been alone together, there was at least something going on. Now there was nothing. Just him and me.

A knock sounded at the door.

I smirked slightly as I padded over, slowly, to answer.

"Someone's at the door," I mused aloud. "I wonder who it is?"

"I wonder."

To my horror, my cousin's hand was already wrapping around the knob by the time I reached the front room. I opened my mouth to tell her it was fine, I got it, when she had it pulled open.

"Oh, hi!" she greeted a little over enthusiastically.

I hung up the phone quickly, wanting to die.

Landon grinned back at her warmly. "Hey, Felicity, right?"

"That's me!"

Oh, God, why did her voice have to be so high pitched and bubbly? She acted like a mother whose daughter's prom date had just come to pick her up.