Chapter 11

Be sure to comment and vote if you enjoy the story. It really does encourage me to keep writing for you guys! <3

"Stop!" I shout at the pile of rabid dogs, hoping to God that it's not too late

When Alec pushed the rock in front of the cave entrance, I watched him walk away from a tiny gap between the stones. I saw the one wolf approach him from the forest and I watched their standoff. When the rest of the pack emerged and surrounded him, I pushed against the rock with all my strength until it rolled out of the way just enough for me to squeeze through. I knew that Alec would die if I didn't do something. "Stop it! Stop, please!" The werewolves raise their heads, mean yellow eyes on me. I swallow the lump in my throat and ball my hands into fists at my side, digging my nails into my skin to keep myself from shaking. "I-I need him." Tears burn in my eyes. Please be okay, please be okay...

"My pack must make a kill tonight," the biggest wolf growls, appearing from the group of creatures. "We're hungry." I catch a glimpse of a black boot through the mass of limbs and fur and teeth. Alec.

"I know." My voice cracks into a breathy whisper and I clear my throat. "I know," I repeat, daring to make eye contact with the wolf. I hold its hostile gaze, although every fiber of me wants to look away and run as fast as I can. "But it's important that I get to Mount Inferno. I need him to take me there." The wolf looks me over, his eyes pausing on my hair.

"A ducinti with white hair," he says, now regarding me with interest instead of hunger, which I'm not sure is much better. "This is a strange turn of events, indeed."

I bite the inside of my cheek so hard that I taste blood. "Let him go." Somehow, my voice stays steady.

"A little girl dares to tell me what to do?" the wolf mocks, but its eyes betray amusement. To my irritation, the others snickers in the background. My fear dissipates, replaced by fiery anger. These wolves remind me of bullies in Achalia that picked on the weak to make themselves look strong.

"You won't impress anyone by preying on us when you know we can't fight back."

The wolf barks a laugh. "We're here for dinner, not to play with our food."

I have one more idea to get us out of here. If this doesn't work, we're dead. "If you know who I am, you should also know that it is not wise to get on my bad side." My bad side? What can I do, singe their eyebrows?

Amazingly, my voice doesn't falter and the wolf seems to buy my bluff. It finally ends our stare down, dropping its gaze. He turns toward his pack, who are watching our exchange impatiently. "Let the fairy go. We will find dinner elsewhere." The other wolves start to argue and complain that they're hungry now, but the alpha silences them with one ferocious growl. He turns back to me. "Don't let my decision to spare your life be wasted, White Witch." With that, the wolf and his pack disappear into the forest, catching a scent quickly and chasing after it.