Chapter 13

Be sure to comment and vote if you enjoy the story. It really does encourage me to keep writing for you guys! <3

 It really does encourage me to keep writing for you guys! <3

- ? -

My vision blurs and fades completely, background sound dulls to nothing. I can't feel my tongue. I can't make a sound, I can't taste. I smell nothing. All of my senses go numb aside from excruciating pain.

My throat is raw from screaming. I can feel myself being ripped apart—being alive while I'm in pieces—and then I'm melded back together and the ripping sensation begins again. It would not surprise me if I was truly being ripped to shreds and being put together again. With magic, anything goes.

I don't know how long this lasts. I would guess hours. Days, maybe.

My body is drained completely. I can't move. But I can feel the ground underneath me and I can smell dirt. A frigid gust of air blows over me, giving me comfort and returning some of my power.

"I hope you've learned your lesson," my mother tells me. I can't see her; I don't have enough strength to open my eyes yet. I imagine that she's smiling at me. "It hurts to punish you, my love. Why do you hurt me? If only you would do what I ask." She tsks. I moan involuntarily. I feel no pain now, but my body feels strange. It's not used to the absence of pain yet. "You'll do better this time. I know it. Because if you fail again..." Now I hear the smile in her voice. She takes a breath that sounds more like excitement than pity. "That would hurt me very much." She pauses, and the wind picks up. I can finally open my eyes. She's kneeling over me, her silver eyes in front of mine. A fake smile is plastered across her face. Her lips are unnaturally red, creating an eerie contrast against her white skin. "Promise me you will do it right this time." She stares at me with those wide eyes, waiting for my answer. I know that this is just an apparition, a trajectory of herself using magic from far, far away, but I can sense her power still.

My voice shakes. "I promise." My throat feels like a knife is slicing into it when I speak. I notice a subtle throbbing in my left eye. I reach a hand up shakily to touch it and wince and pull it away again. A black eye for sure. Other than that and my throat, my body is completely intact. Normal. No trace of the immense pain I had just suffered.

"That's my boy," she says, glowing with pride. She smiles for real and I feel better instantly. Imagine how she'll smile when you finally succeed, I think. She touches a hand gently to my cheek. Her skin is so warm compared to mine. "Bring your sister home." She stands, her black dress trailing on the ground behind her. Long brown waves bounce around her shoulders. She walks away into the forest, her apparition disappearing in a cloud of thick mist. The wind whispers a name in her wake.

Anabella.

Pretty pretty please leave a vote/comment if you enjoyed this part! :)