Chapter 24

"I can show you if you want," Max offers. I look to Alec, who shrugs uneasily.

"That would be great," I tell the little boy. I squeeze his hand. "But my friend here is in desperate need of a good meal. We can visit the mine afterward, okay?" As curious as I am about this rock, Alec needs to eat. But I can't help but wonder if the rock Max told us about is like the tablet in the center of the Mount Inferno.

The little boy grins up at Alec, squeezing my hand back. He reminds me so much of Peter, always smiling. "Is he your king?"

Alec chuckles and shakes his head at the ground, smiling a tiny bit. I feel my face turn bright red. "No, Max. He's just my friend."

"So he's a knight then?"

I shake my head and laugh a little, thankful that the embarrassment is quickly fading. "Kind of, yeah."

"When I grow up, I want to be a knight." Another ache rocks my body. That's what Peter always said, ever since we were thirteen.

I stand up, still holding tightly onto Max's hand. Whether this boy is the same as me or not, I feel fiercely protective of him already. Maybe I couldn't protect Peter, but I will protect Max.

"I'm sure that you'll be the bravest knight there is," I tell him. His smile grows wider, filling my heart with warmth.

He starts to walk toward the village. "Come on, I'll take you to my house. There's lots of food for you there."

But I stop him. "It's dangerous to be seen with me," I warn. It crushes me to tell him that I'm the reason for hundreds of deaths, so I don't. "A lot of people think that I did something really bad."

"I know." His bright eyes don't look disappointed or sad. As I look closer, I see that they have a green tint, made lighter by the bright moon. His eyes are more like Cedric's than Peter's. "No one here believes that. We know it was the Dark Queen, not you. You're good."

I'm good.

For the second time tonight, tears wet my cheeks. I hadn't known it, but all this time I'd been wanting to have validation, to be told by someone that I'm not the evil killer that I think I am. A child that so strongly resembles my best friend turned out to be the perfect someone.

"The Dark Queen?" Alec cuts in. Just in time too, because I don't trust myself to speak right now. "You know about Anabella?"

The boy nods. "All of us do. King Bennet tried to tell the other kingdoms, but they won't listen." He frowns. "The others call him crazy—but he's not."

"We know that he's not crazy," Alec reassures him, and crouches in front of the boy. "We believe you. And him."

"Good. So can we go now?" Max asks, clearly itching to get to the mine.

"Do your parents know you're out here?"

A guilty smile spreads across the boy's face. "Nooo. But I do it all the time. No problem."

"Anabella's soldiers are looking for us. It's dangerous out here," Alec says, the tone of a protective parent creeping into his voice. I almost smile, the previous moment's tears almost a memory now. Perhaps Max has that affect on everyone.

The boy pouts. "But my dog got loose. I had to try and find him! The mean man next door said he'd skin him alive if he hurts another one of his chickens."

"We'll help you find him as soon as my friend gets some food in him. Alright?" I suggest. Max agrees and starts to lead us toward the village once more. I hesitate. "You're absolutely sure I won't cause a problem if I'm seen?"