A Real World Twist

A/N: It's going to be sooo weird to write in first person again because the next book I've been working on is in 3rd person and ahhhhh. But please enjoy this cute little twist on Edlyn's life:)

 But please enjoy this cute little twist on Edlyn's life:)

Ring ring.

Ring ring.

Ring ri—

I groan, glaring at my phone. It chooses now to die on me?

I cross the room in a few quick steps and lean out the door into the bright white hallway.

"Estelle?" I call. A familiar head of brunette hair peers out of another room a bit farther down the hall, exactly six floor tiles away.

She beams at me and I can't help but smile back. Her smile is infectious. "What's up?" she asks. "If you used up the last of the cat litter, you're out of luck till tomorrow. There's a shipment coming at noon."

"We have one bag left, actually. Thank God," I say, and she giggles. I roll my eyes and put my free hand on my hip. "I need to borrow your phone. Mine just died and I need to let Peter know what type of Parmesan to pick up at the store."

Estelle disappears for a second and returns with a black Samsung in hand. She gives it to me, stretching out dramatically across the hall to reach me. I laugh a little and thank her before scrolling through her contacts to find my brother's.

"Right, he has to get that vegan stuff doesn't he?" she asks, wrinkling her nose.

I press call and shoot Estelle another eye roll. "You're welcome to join us for dinner. It'd be good for you to eat something other than ramen."

Ring ring.

Come on, Peter, pick up... you're a dead man if I can't have Parmesan on my spaghetti tonight.

Estelle chuckles but shakes her head. "Nah, ramen is classic college student food. And cleaning these cages doesn't exactly pay well."

"You need some real food in you! Besides, dinner with us is free," I tell her.

Ring ring.

Peter, I swear to God—

"In that case I might have to take you up on that offer," Estelle says, grinning.

Ring—

"Hello?"

"Peter!" I exclaim, waving Estelle goodbye as she returns to the kennel. The unbearably loud sounds of barking dogs plagues my ears when she opens the door, but I've gotten used to it by now. "I tried to call you, like, four times on my phone, but it died. What on Earth were you doing?"

Roaring laughter pours out of the phone. It's muffled, but even so, I recognize the sound immediately. My chest fills with warmth and a small smile grazes my lips.