Zaria

I sit down on the bleachers as the game is about to start. The team lines up on the field in their positions. The kick off starts the game. The only games I watch is soccer and besides my school is big on soccer. I sometimes go to the practice just to watch; that is when I don't have homework. As you can probably tell soccer is my love. I also play sometimes but around here girls wearing hijabs aren't really into sports. My mom complains to me to be more of a daughter than another son but I just ignore her. But then who can blame me I live in a house with two brothers.

I watch the game closely."Pass the ball O'Neal!" I yell. I end up getting up as he gets closer to the goal. I swear if he doesn't pass the... Great he kicked it straight to the goalie. Gavin O'Neal knows damn well that he can't score a goal but always tried. I give him credit for not giving up though, because inshallah (if God wills) one of these days he will score.

Our teams receives a free kick in the last five minutes. I hold my breath and pray to God that we score a goal. Xavier Daniels stands up at the line. He kneels down and kisses his two fingers (pointer/middle) and touching the ground and then touches his heart pointing up. He then kicks the ball. I never understood why he did that but everytime he does it, he scores. I scream in joy clapping along with everyone else. We win by one point because the other team were as good as our team.

I walk up to the players to congratulate them because now they are going to state. "Alhumdulillah, you guys did an amazing job," I say. They all look at me not knowing what alhamdulillah. "It means praises to Allah... good job," I tell them. "Here we go again, Z you always wants to educate someone," Dylan says wiping sweat from his forehead. I just smirk. "Aren't you the girl that is always at our practice?" Xavier asks drinking his water. "No, I'm not always there," I smirk. He looks up at me taking off his shirt, and then dumps water on his head. "Nice kick by the way," I tell him. He puts his finger through his hair. "That was all God," he points up with a smile. I stare at him and nod. "I'm Xavier by the way," he says putting his bottle to his lips. "I know," I say. He chuckles "a bit creepy... but ok."

"Everyone knows your name," I add. Everyone did, he was the star soccer player and he knew it. "You're right... but don't you have a name Princess," he says. I stare at him already annoyed and this was my first time talking to him. "My name is not Princess and don't ever call me that. It's Zaira," I tell him. He chuckles as if it was a joke. I roll my eyes. "Well bye," I say walking away.

"Hey Zaria," Noora Ahmed says. She was my best friend but we are totally different. She is the girly type and you know I'm the muslim tomboy. "Salaam," I say. "Why are you here?" I question. She smiles "Abdul invited me," she says. I stare at her. I sigh without no words. Abdul and Noora are engaged. Yeah weird, I know. Abdul is 19, while Noora is 18. I'm a year younger than Noora. She blushes every time she says his name. Abdul appears. "Salaam," I say. "Salaam," he replies. "I'm going to leave I have homework to finish," I say. "Salaam," I say as I leave.

I get home around eleven. "Salaam," I say walking into the house. I get to my room and start my homework. There was no way I was going to miss the game for homework but then again I don't have that much. I open my bag and pull out my folder. I quickly complete my assignment and go to bed around 12pm-1pm.

The next day my phone wakes me up, I turn it off and cover my face with my pillow with groan. I lazily get up and look at the time. I was thirty minutes late. "Shoot!" I yell running around trying to get ready. Why didn't my idiot brothers wake me. I put on my black abaya and black hijab. I stroll downstairs and see my brothers in the kitchen. My mom was standing at the stove cooking. "I'm late," I say rushing to the fridge and grabbing the juice carton and say bismillah before I put it to my mouth. "Zaria! Don't put the juice on your mouth," she yells at me in disgust. "I'm late Ma," I say kissing her on the cheek and running out. I take the carton with me. I drive to school trying to keep myself awake by drinking the juice. I never liked coffee nor tea I don't know how people are obsessed with it.