Xavier (wedding day)

My house was packed with family members and friends. "It would have been a double wedding... you and Z and me and Noora... but she wanted to go and get married," Gavin complains as we sit in my room. "I'm so happy for you," he then says. "Thanks bro," I say feeling nervous about today."The way you said she made her decision is so Zaria like," he then says. "How?" I ask. "Family comes first with her for everything... which is a good thing," he says. I smile "faith and family first right?" I mumble.

"Xavier," my mom calls. I go to where she calls me. "Get ready, we have to start heading out," she says. "Ok," I mumble. I head back to my room. "Need to change," I tell him. He gets out and I get ready. I stare at myself in the mirror. "Alhumdulillah," I mumble. I head out. "You look great," people say. "Thanks," I mumble.

We all get on our cars. It was my mom, Jazlyn, Gavin, and I in one car the rest got on their own cars. "Today is a magical day," my mom says. "In two days I'm off to college," I remind her. "You've grown up so much," she says. "I know," I mumble. We get to Zaria's house. We head inside.

It was packed in there. "Salaam," I say walking in. "Salaam," people say. "Ready to head to the masjid?" Amir asks. "Yeah," I mumble. "Let me go grab the bride," he says running upstairs. I stand there nervously my palms were getting sweaty. "Congrats man," a boy around my age hits me on the shoulder. "Thanks man," I mumble. "Zaria is my niece so take good care of her," he says. "Of course," I mumble.

"Salaamu alaikum," a girl at least 15 says. "Wa alaykum asalaam," I say. "You're are the broom?" She questions. "...yeah. I hope so," I joke. She stares at me and a few seconds later starts laughing. "I see you met Mina," Jamal says. " She's a bit slow," he whispers. "On jokes and life," he says. "I can hear you Jama," she says. "You forgot the L," he says. "No I really didn't, " she says walking. "She's the annoying cousin," he says. I just laugh.

"Oh, I get to come to the mosque too," Jamal says. I don't know what was taking Amir and Zaria so long. "Where's Zari?" Her dad asks. "I don't know... we're waiting for her," I says. "I'll get her," he says going upstairs. "You two are goals... soccer lovers," Jamal says. I glance at him. "Bro, they can cook," Gavin says shoving food in his mouth.

Zaria finally comes downstairs. "Noora Ahmed," Gavin says happily. Everyone breaks out laughing. "I missed you," he says. Noora stares at him uncomfortably. I look at Zaria, must admit she looks beautiful. She smiles "Gavin she's a married woman," she laughs. "Thank you Z for informing me," he says sarcastically. "Let's go kids," Zaria's dad says. We walk to the car.

Gavin and Noora come along, along with our family of course. We take two cars. Girls in one,boys in the other. We get to the mosque and head inside. The imam was already waiting there. He does the wedding rituals.

"Congratulations," they say after we leave the mosque to go to the hall. We are seated in the front with our family to take pictures.

Finally we can go home. I open my door. Zaria was sitting there looking uncomfortable. "Hi," I mumbles closing the door. "Salaam alaykum," she mumbles looking up at me. I smile "Wa alaikum asalaam," I reply. This is pretty much the first time we talked the entire evening. I sit down at the edge of the bed. We just sit there in silence neither one of us know what to say.

"How you doing?" I decide to ask. "Fine" she mumbles. What she not going to ask me how I'm doing. She just sits there fiddling with her fingers. I almost forgot the ring. I look in my dresser but it wasn't in there. I look around and see it was on my night stand. I grab it and sit next to her. "This for you," I say opening it. I put the ring on her. "Thank you," she mumbles. "No problem," I tell her. We just sit there in silences again. Why isn't she saying anything.

"Can I tell you something?" I ask sitting closer to her. "Yeah," She simply says. "You look beautiful," I tell her. "Thanks," she smiles looking down. "And another thing," I say. She looks up at me. I now realize she has beautiful hazel eyes. "You have pretty eyes," I tell her.

I lie down looking at the ceiling. I turn to my side to face her. "Can you say something please... cause I'm kind of nervous," I tell her. She smiles. "I'm nervous too," she mumbles. "Are you hungry?" I ask her. "No," she says. "Do you want anything to drink?" I question sitting up. "No thank you," she looks down at her hands.

I sit up taking her hand in mine and looking at her. She looks at me shocked. I just smile. She turns her body to face me. "Why did you want to marry?" She asks. I smile "cause I'm in love with you... and I didn't want to lose you," I tell her the honest truth. She just chuckles. "What's so funny?" I question. She shakes her head with a smile. "Tell me," I say. "Nothing, I promise," she mumbles.