Xavier

"I'll catch up with you later," I say to Gavin and Fred. I walk outside towards the bleachers since my car was parked there. I notice the girls soccer team practicing. The JV team was funny on one half of the field. I look over to the bleachers and see Zaria. I haven't seen her since the day at the hospital. Speaking of that day Arisha and I ended up breaking up because of what happened at the park. I don't know why she took that to heart. I'm just not ready for that. I made a promise to myself that I'll wait until I'm married.

I walk over to Zaria who looked upset. "Hey," I say. She looks at me shock then she looks back at the field. "You miss playing already?" I question. She glances at me for half a second. "It's been my dream to play on a team and I doubt I'll get a chance again," she smirks. "It'll be ok," I say putting my hand on her shoulder. She whacks my hand off. I stare at her feeling disrespected. "Boys aren't suppose to touch Muslim girls if you are not siblings or married" she says annoyed. "I'm sorry... I didn't know," I tell her feeling bad. "It's fine," she sighs staring back at the field.

I just stare at her trying to figure her out. "So there's a rumor going around about you... not that I listen to rumors," she says not even looking at me when she talks. "What rumors?" I question. She chuckles "about you being a whimp and blah blah ... I don't know the story cause I walked away afterward," she says. I don't say anything. She glances at me for a brief second. "Sorry... it's not funny I guess," she mumbles confused. I stare at her but she ends up looking away.

"What are you doing here shouldn't you be with your princess? " she questions. Doesn't she know Arisha and I broke up. She turns to me rises her eyebrows. "You are dismissed," she says. "I'm guessing you are here because you are unable to practice," I tell her. She gives me the evil eyes. I sigh "oh, you waiting for your ride?" I question. "Yeah and it's your business why?" She questions crossing her arm to her chest. I chuckle "cause I'm gonna make it my business," I tell her with a smile. "Tell me how you're gonna make it your business?" She questions. "I'll give you a ride," I tell her. She laughs "You have jokes." I stare at her.

"You are a joke. I don't even want to give you a ride," I tell her. She pulls out a water bottle and I thought she was going to drink it. She did no such thing. She opens the bottle and dumps it on my head. I stare at her pissed "why the hell would you do that?" I question rising my eyebrows annoyed. "Now look who's the joke," she says. I get up "Wow that was funny," I smirk sarcastically. She laughs "bye." I sit back down if she wants to annoy me and think that'll make me stop messing with her. This means war.

"Daniels you are funny," she says. I take wet hair out of my face. I pull out my water bottle. "Don't you dare," she says. I laugh taking a sip of my water "Why would I?" I question. She gets up and grabs her crutches. "I'll dismiss myself," she says leaving.

I get up and head to my car. My mom and little sister were sitting on the patio when I pull up to the house. They sit there eating watermelon. I go up to them and grab a watermelon and sit by my mom's feet. "We got invited to Asma's surprise birthday party," she says reading her book. "Who is that?" I question looking up at her. She puts her book down. "My Muslim friend," she says. I stare at her "Zaria's mom?" I question rising my eyebrows. "Yeah," she smiles.

"Zaria is a good girl I don't know why you are still with that Arisha girl," my mom says. I turn around to face her "first off Arisha and me broke up and Zaria and me won't happen," I tell her. Her eyes light up "Your mom knows best. I feel God has plans for you," she says laughing to herself.

My mom is a bit childish but she's the best mom anyone can have. "Zaria is protty," Jazlyn says. I glance at her she knows I hate when she says pretty like that. She smiles looking at her. She was basically a mini version of my mom.

Who would have thought Saturday would come so fast. We knock on Zaria's door. "In the back," I think the youngest boy says. I don't seem to remember their names. We walk in and head to the patio in the back of the house. We stand there unsure what to do since I'm guessing we were early. A girl with a bunch of big boxes comes towards me but I am unable to see her face since the boxes were covering it. "Watch out," I say. She sets the boxes down and I see it's just Zaria. "What are you doing here?" She questions and then looks at the rest of my family. "Nevermind," she mumbles with a smile. "Since you are here make yourself useful and take these to the front by the garbage," she says crossing her arms. "You do it yourself," I say. "Xavier," my mom says disappointed. "Fine, where is it?" I question. "Why don't you show him," my mom suggests with a smile. "Why would I make him..." Zaria starts then stops. "Of course," she mumbles staring at my mom confused.

She starts walking. I pick up the box and follow her. "What happened to your crutches?" I question. "I'm still limping,and besides I don't like it," she says. "You're lazy... you could have carried these boxes," I say putting them aside from the garbage. A car pulls up in the driveway. A man, his wife, son around my age and two little girls get off. "Assalamu alaikum," Zaria greets them. I glances at her then look at them. "Walaikum asalaam habiba," the lady says. I didn't know what the last word meant. "What does habiba mean," I whisper to Zaria. She tries not to laugh but she cracks a smile. She doesn't answer me. "How's your ankle healing?" The boy asks Zaria as we walk back to the back. "It's fine alhamdulillah," she replies.

"I'm Samir," the boy introduces himself to me. "Xavier Daniels," I tell him. Zaria laughs walking away. I didn't understand what was funny. "You and Zaria friends?" He questions. "We are schoolmates... why?" I ask. He just shrugs "just wondering," he says. "Are you two friends?" I ask. "Well we are..." he starts but Zaria cuts him off. "Are you two just going to stand her babbling or are you gonna help cause my mom comes in less than an hour..." she says with her hands on her hips. I just chuckle to myself. "Nothing is funny Daniels... get to work," she says. "OK, boss," I say saluting as I walk away.