Xavier

"Xavier we are going to dinner at an old friend's house," my mom say as I settle into the sofa. I stare at her waiting for her to move from the TV. "Go get ready," she says. I sigh and get up going to my room. I decide to wear all black since it doesn't seem like you're dressed up when you really aren't.

"Let's go," my mom says holding Jazlyn my five year old sister's hand. I stroll along to the car. I was not in the mood of going to some stranger's house for dinner they are always awkward. I sit in the passenger seat staring out the window.

We reach the house and my mom knocks with a smile. A boy that looks somewhat familiar opens the door. How did I know him... he probably just looks like someone I know. But who? They greets us as we enter the house. I must admit it smells really good; meaning whatever they cooked. We enter into the dining. "Zari, this Sarah and her son Xavier and daughter Jazlyn," the mom says. She looks up for a brief second and looks down. No way Zaria. This dinner will be interesting after all.

We all take our seats. "So how's it going. I didn't see you at school?" I say to Zaria. "You two go to the same school?" Her mom asks in shock. "Yeah," I simply says. Zaria doesn't look up. Why is she acting so quiet she usually talks a lot.

It was awkward as I said it was going to be. Zaria refuses to look up which somewhat made me feel uncomfortable. "Zari pass me the salad," one her brother's says. She looks up at him and passes it to him. "So aren't you the star soccer player at your school?" One the brother's asks. I look up at him "um... if you want to say. Soccer is my passion," I tell him. "You and Zari both," he says.

"Soccer is my love," Zaria smirks. I'm glad she finally decided to speak. "Isn't that the same thing?" I question rising my eyebrows with a smile. "Sure you can say that I guess," she smirks. I chuckle. Zaria scoots her plate and rests her head on the table. Was she really about to go to sleep in the middle of dinner. "Zari," Her mom calls.

She jumps up in shock. I start laughing uncontrollably. Zaria looks at me with a stink eye. She looks tired now that I realize. She yawns covering her mouth with her hands. "Mom, I think we should going," I say. Zaira looks at me with shock in her eyes and then lowers her gaze to the table. "Yeah, it's getting late," she agrees. "Asma thank you so much for having us for dinner and your cooking is five star quality," my mom complements. "Thank you. I got help from my daughter," Mrs. Asma says. I look at Zaria who doesn't seem to care what is going on. "You have amazing skills at a young age," my mom says to her. "Shukran," she mumbles and then looks up. "It means thank you," she then says knowing that we didn't understand her.

We leave after saying goodbye. I stare out the window. "So how was it?" My mom questions. "Fine," I mumble. She glances at me "it seems as if you are very fond of that girl," she then says. I look at her confused. "Mom I have a girlfriend," I remind her. She sighs but doesn't say anything. "What are you saying?" I question. "Nothing... she seems like a nice girl," my mom says. I shake my head. "I've known her for a month now and you've known her for an hour and she fell asleep during dinner," I remind her. "Ok, Xavy... I don't know what you don't like about her," she mumbles the end. "Mom, I don't like her in the way you are stating... and like I said before I have a girlfriend," I say getting annoyed. "Things can change hon," she says. I just stare at her and shake my head. "I doubt it," I mumble.

At school I was too tired to even focus. "Mr.Daniels?" I hear Mr.Fed my psychology teacher says. I look up at him with a yawn."Can you answer my question?" He rises his fluffy eyebrows. Obviously I can't I don't even know what he asked. I just stare at him blankly. If I don't have my hand up why on earth did he call on me. There's a bunch of other students. "I don't know," I mumble. "I don't know isn't an answer," he crosses his arm to his chest. I yawn of both boredom and exhaustion. "Well it's my answer," I tell him. Some people start chuckling. Mr.Fed gives them the stink eye and they immediately stop. He leaves me alone and carries on with his class.

I'm so happy school is finally over and it's a Friday. The girls soccer team is having their first game. It was about time they start a girl's soccer team at our school, they were just being sexist. "Xavier," Arisha says before putting her hand in my hand. "Hey sweetheart," I say with a smile. We take our seats on the bleachers. Our team comes out to warm up and waiting for the other team.

The game starts with a kick off. I see Zaria as a forward. I didn't know she played soccer I just thought she fantasized. I must admit she is really good. She just out ran to girls and now is at the goal... Did she just really crisscross the ball on the goalie. Goal! Everyone gets up and starts clapping. The game ended with 5-3. We won on our first game.

"Good job on your first game," I congratulate them as we were getting ready to leave. "Thanks," one of the girls says. I see Zaria walking away with her bag on her shoulder. "Don't try to talk to her," Arisha says as if knowing me too well. "I'm just congratulating her on the game," I tell her. "She can live without you congratulating her," she smirks. I stare at Arisha and just shrug. We head to my car. Coincidentally Zaria's car was parked by mine.

"Hey," I say to her. Arisha rolls her eyes and gets on the car. "Oh... hi," she mumbles putting her bag in the trunk. "Nice job... I didn't know you were that good," I tell her. She just shrugs "I'm not it was a team effort," she smirks rolling her eyes. What was wrong with her. "I have to go," she says getting on her car and driving away. I sigh and get on my car.

"What's with you and her?" Arisha questions rising her eyebrows. "Nothing... we're just friends," I tell her turning on the car. "She doesn't seem to like your presences why are you bothering with her," she says. I stare at her. "You seem to be too fond of her," she adds looking out the window. I stare at her and she glances at me. "Take me home," she demands. "Fine," I mumble annoyed. Why is everyone telling me I like Zaria. I drop Arisha and head home. I lock myself in my room and get on my laptop to do my homework since I had an essay due tonight at 12pm. I only had a paragraph done so far.

At around 11:59 I end up turning my report in. I fall asleep right when I hit send. I end up waking up from my annoying little sister's voice. "Xavy you promised to take me to the park," she complains. I yawn "I'll take you later," I tell her. "Mom said it's 3:00 and you have to take me now," she says. I get up and look at the time. "Fine let me get ready," I tell her kicking her out.

I head downstairs and grab a bite before we leave. Jazlyn sits in the back as I drive her to the park. I park the my car and Jazlyn runs off to go play. I go sit down on the swing keeping my eyes on her. "Is it me or you're following me," I hear besides me. I look to my right and see Zaria. "Oh, hey," I say. "Hi," she mumbles looking away. "How are you?" I ask. "Fine," she says. I just nod and watch my little sister.

Zaria glances at me then looks back to where she was looking. I glance at her "Do you have Mrs. Blake for English?" I ask. "Yeah, had to finish that stupid report last night," she complains. I laugh "Yeah I was up all night," I tell her. "Sad... I don't understand why we can't just turn it in class on Monday," she complains. I agree it was pointless and stupid that we had to turn it in online. A little girl falls as she was running pass us. I couldn't help but laugh. Zaria stares at me and shakes her head "you are bogus," she says trying to keep from laughing. "That was funny," I tell her. She shakes her head but smiles.