Zaria

"Zari come here," Noora says. "What?" I ask standing by her in front of the mirror. "You look so beautiful," she says. I look in the mirror and look back at her. "Thank you," I mumble sitting back down. Hasna walks in. We sit there not saying much. I flick on my TV.

There's knocking at my door. "Come in," I say. It was Amir he sits down. "They are here," he says. I stare at him. My heart quickens in pace. "Ok," I say. "You look like a girl," he says. "Shut up," I tell him. "I'm kidding you always look like a girl... you look extra beautiful today," he smiles giving me a hug.

My dad walks in. "Are you coming downstairs?" He questions. "Yeah, let me get my shoes," I say. I grab my flats, I know usually people wear heels but I've never walked in them and I'm not starting now. We head downstairs. Xavier stands there with Gavin shoving food in his mouth and Jamal on the other side. "Noora Ahmed," Gavin says happily. We all break out laughing. "I missed you," he says.

I notice how uncomfortable Noora is. I smile, "Gavin, she is a married woman," I tell him laughing. "Thanks Z for informing me," he says sarcastically. "Let's go kids," my dad says. We head to the cars. Female in one and males in the other. We get to the mosque and the imam does the wedding rituals.

We then head to the hall. Everything and everyone looks beautiful. They take a bunch of picture and people were dancing and just having fun. We get home after all the fun.

I sit there on the bed crisscross. Xavier walks in nervously. "Hi," he mumbles closing the door. "Salaamu alaikum," I say. He smiles "wa alaykum asalaam," He says sitting on the edge of the bed. We sit there in silences.

"How you doing?" he asks. "Fine" I mumbles. I sit there fiddling with my fingers. Why is he making small talk? He then gets up looking for something. I stare at him confused. He finds what he was look for. He sits beside me with a ring"This for you," He says opening it. He then puts the ring on me. "Thank you," I mumble. "No problem," he says with a smile. We just sit there in silences again. Why isn't he saying anything.

"Can I tell you something?" He then asks sitting closer to me. "Yeah," I mange to says. "You look beautiful," he says making me blush. "Thanks," I smile looking down. "And another thing,"he adds. I look up at him. I stare into his eyes. "You have pretty eyes," he says

After a couple minutes of silences he lies down looking at the ceiling. He then turns to his side to face me. "Can you say something please... cause I'm kind of nervous," he says staring up at me. I smile not knowing what to say. "I'm nervous too," I admit. "Are you hungry?" he asks me. "No," I tell him. "Do you want anything to drink?" he questions sitting up. "No thank you," I say looking down at my hands. Why is he asking me stupid questions?

He sits up and takes my hand in his. I stare at him shocked. He just smiles. I turn my body to face him. "Why did you want to marry me?" I question out of curiosity. A smile forms on his face "cause I'm in love with you... and I didn't want to lose you," he tells me. I try not to laugh. "What's so funny?" he questions rising his eyebrow. I shake my head with a smile just to mess with him. "Tell me," he begs "Nothing, I promise," I mumble. He fiddles around with my hand in his. I just stare at him neither one of us saying anything.

In the morning when I wake up I feel a body beside me. I jump up and notice my hijab fell off, I fix it on. Why am I sleeping with my hijab. I yawn getting up. I drag myself to the bathroom and wash up. I get out and see Xavier sitting up. I stare at him, it was weird to see him early in the morning. "Good morning," he says. "Good morning," I mumble. We stand there awkwardly.

We head to the kitchen for breakfast. "Need any help?" I ask Mrs. Daniels. "No thanks," she smiles. I nod and stand there awkwardly. "Do you want to help me?" She asks. I smile and nod. We make breakfast and set up the table. Jazlyn and Xavier sit down. I sit down beside Xavier. "So you two will be leaving us tomorrow?" Mrs.Daniel's says. "Yeah... I'm just going to my parents house before I head to the University," I tell her. She stares at me confused. "I start in two days, a day after Xavier," I tell her. She nods with a smile "that's good," she says.

We spend the day watching TV. "Zari can you braid my hair?" Jazlyn asks. "Sure," I smile, I never got to have a little sister. She sits on my lap as I braid her. I felt Xavier watching us. I glance at him and rise my eyebrows. "That's usually my job," he smiles causing me to laugh. "I can see you doing this," I say after I finish. I show Jazlyn on my front camera of my phone. "I love it," she hugs me running off. "She loves you," he says. I don't reply.

Xavier grabs the remote from my hand. I look at him "bad decision," I tell him. "No... I don't think so," he shakes his head. I try to grab the remote but he moves his hand causing me to fall on him. I sit up and stare at him "you are mean," I say acting like I'm crying by covering my face. He tries to pull my hands off my face. "I think you are cute when you are mad," he smiles. I put my hands down and stick my tongue out at him. "You can't tell me not to touch you no more, "he says. My mouth falls open "that's why you married me?" I question trying not laugh. "Of course not silly."

We head to the bedroom so we can pack his stuff for tomorrow. "I can't believe I'll start college tomorrow," he says putting his clothes in his suitcase. "Well you better believe it cause inshallah tomorrow will come and you'll be gone," I tell him. He sits down on the bed and looks at me. "Will you miss me?" He asks. I look up from folding the clothes. "I don't know you're still here," I tell him. He stares up at me and pulls me to sit next to him. "Stop playing around help me pack your stuff," I tell him getting up. He lies back "I don't feel like packing," he complains. I stare at him, I throw his shirt at him "fine I'm not packing your stuff," I say crossing my arms to my chest. He sits up and looks at me with a smile. I rise eyebrow. "I don't see anything cute about this," I tell him. "I didn't say it was cute," he says. I roll my eyes. "Pack yourself... I'm going to bed," I tell him.

"No, stay up with me," he says getting up. "Nope," I say fixing the pillow. "Please," he begs. I look at him and act as if I'm making a decision. "No... if you don't want to help me pack your stuff..." I say pointing at him. "Then I have no reason to stay up," I add with a smile. "Fine, I'll help," he puts in. I chuckle "I thought so," I say.