It Starts with Goodbye

Nick laid in his bed on his back with his head propped up on his arm as he thought about the trip he was going to make in a few hours. He had been trying to get to sleep for hours, but he had too many thoughts racing through his mind. He had gotten the opportunity of a lifetime to head a whole building operation. This project was a major asset to his firm and after the senior civil engineer supervisor had a death in the family Nick's boss chose him to finish the job. Nick was nervous about being so far away from home, but it bothered him being away from Gaby the most.

It had been almost a month since Gaby was left at the altar and Nick could see that she was struggling to get herself back to some form of normalcy. Finally tired of staring at his ceiling as his mind wandered all over the place Nick got up and headed for the shower. After he dressed and had his first cup of coffee, he got in his car and drove to Gaby's apartment.

"You're here early Mr. Gregorio." the doorman said as he opened the door for him.

"I have an early flight; I just came to see Gaby before I left." He said as he walked into the building.

When Nick walked into the apartment, all of the lights were on and he could here Gaby moving around in the kitchen.

 "What are you doing up so early," Nick said scaring Gaby, causing her to drop coffee grounds on the floor.

"Damn it, Nick, you need to start calling before you come over." Gaby fussed as she brushed past him to get the broom and dustpan.

"I'm sorry let me help," Nick said, and Gaby handed him the broom. They cleaned up the mess in silence; after they were finished Gaby looked at Nick and said,

"What are you doing here so early?"

"You didn't think I would leave without seeing you."

"I was kind of hoping that you did, that way I wouldn't cry in front of you," Gaby said returning to her task of making coffee.

"Your such a crybaby. It's three in the morning; I thought I would have to wake you up. Why are you up?"

"I pulled an all-nighter trying to finish this last re-write. I only have a few pages left."Gaby said as she poured water into the machine. "Are you sure you don't want to come with me?" Nick asked as he grabbed two mugs from the cabinet.

"Yes, I'm sure Nick. I think it's time we cut the cord. We've been together since I can remember; I can't keep using you as my security blanket."

"But what if I want to keep you as my security blanket?" Nick said as he wrapped his arms around her.

 "Well, you're just gonna have to get over it buddy." She said as she patted him on the chest.

"You go to Tokyo and have fun, just don't forget about me."

"Of course not," Nick said as Gaby broke away from his embrace and opened the fridge door as Nick watched the coffee brew. Nick noticed that Gaby had gotten very quiet and that half her body had disappeared into the fridge.

"Gaby, what are you doing?"

"Nufftin." She said her voice muffled.

"What are you eating?" he asked as he pulled her out of the refrigerator and turned her around. Gaby's face was covered with powdered sugar from the powdered donut she had been eating.

"You know you're not supposed to be eating powdered donuts," Nick said with a frown.

"But they are so good, and my cholesterol has been great. Plus it was just one." She said with a pout. When Gaby was diagnosed with hyperlipidemia at sixteen, Nick became the food police and wouldn't let her eat anything high in saturated or Trans fats, and made sure she exercised daily.

"I don't care," Nick said as he wiped her face with his hands.

"You care more about my cholesterol then I do," Gaby said as Nick gently ran his fingers across her lips wiping the powder from her lips before licking his finger. His gaze fixated on her lips as he closed the distance between them. Gaby took in a shaky breath as Nick's hands cupped her face, her eyes fluttered closed as his lips lowered down onto her.  Her mouth warm and tasted like sugar. Nick could feel Gaby's heart beat wildly against her chest as she caressed the sides of his face with her hands as she let out a soft moan as he delved deeper into her mouth. Gaby couldn't think straight, her brain couldn't fully understand what was happening but she knew she didn't want Nick to stop. Suddenly Nick pulled away from her as if she had the plague. Nick could see the confusion, hurt and fear in her eyes.

"Gaby I'm sorry I shouldn't have done that. I..."Gaby rushed out of the kitchen and into her room and locked the door before Nick could go any farther.

"Gaby, please open the door, I'm sorry I didn't mean it," Nick said as he jiggled the doorknob.

"Please Gaby open the door."

"No, Nick just go."

"Gaby please I can't leave like this."

"We're okay Nick, really just go. I love you have a safe trip" Nick rested his forehead against the door, and he cursed under his breath.

"Gaby?" Gaby didn't say anything, and Nick knew he wasn't going to be able to get her to come out of her room.

"Damn it, Gaby," Nick said as he ran his fingers through his hair. "I'll call you when I land, and I'm taking the donuts." He said as he walked away, scolding himself for being so stupid.