Crossroads

Madeline woke up the next morning on cloud nine; she felt like she was floating on air as she walked to the kitchen to prepare her morning coffee. Madeline sat down with her cup of French vanilla coffee and concentrated on her morning paper.

"How was your evening darling?" Penelope asked making Madeline jump.

"Mother you scared me," She said holding her heaving chest.

"I'm sorry dear," Penelope said as she ran her fingers through her curly brown hair.

"I love that dress on you," Madeline said referring to the blue and white polka dotted sundress.

"Thank you," Penelope said as she smoothed out the front of her dress. "How was your evening." She asked again, and Madeline smiled.

"Absolutely wonderful, it didn't end how I had hoped, but he kissed me." She blushed.

"Oh," Penelope said raising her perfectly arched eyebrow, the surprise evident on her face.

"Don't look so surprised mother I told you he still loves me."

"I'm sorry Madeline, but I just didn't think that Nick was that way. I just don't want to see you hurt again."

"Nick would never hurt me." She said defensively before turning her attention back to her paper.

He loves me

"He loves me." She said aloud looking back up to her mother, but she was gone.

She never wants to hear the truth.

That Monday when Madeline walked into the office her receptionist couldn't help but notice the good mood she was in.

"How was your weekend Regan?" Madeline asked as she handed her a cup of coffee.

"It-it was great." She stammered as she looked down at the cup.

"Four sugars and three creams right?"

"Yes, how did you know how I liked my coffee?"

"The guy at the counter helped me out." She confessed.

"Thank you."

"Don't mention it." She said with a smile. Regan watched Madeline walk into her office and tried to figure out what was going on with her boss who usually ignored her unless she needed something.

I hope I'm not getting fired. Regan thought as she took her seat at her desk.

"Do you know if Nick is in yet?" Madeline asked sticking her head through the crack of the door.

"Not yet, Tammie said he wouldn't be in until after lunch."

"Okay." She said with a shrug before closing the door.

****

I think I like this one the best Mariah." Nick said as he examined fireplace in the living room.

"This house has been waiting for you. It has plenty of space for when you and your wife decide to start a family."

"We definitely need the space, and we have twins," Nick said still admiring the fireplace.

"Oh I didn't know you had children," Mariah said, and Nick could see the confusion on her face, and he pulled out a picture of Gaby and the twins from his wallet and handed it to her.

"That's my family, the woman who was with me the last time was a friend who came along to give me a woman's point of view."

"Oh." Mariah said as she looked down at the picture and smiled "You have a beautiful family,"