Breathe Again

"Did you just roll your eyes at me?" Gaby said questioning Victoria, her intense green eyes staring up at her as Gaby removed her jumper. 

"It's not my fault that you threw up all over yourself and me," Gaby said as she wiped Victoria down and changed her into a onesie before putting her back into her crib and stuck a pacifier into her mouth. Gaby picked up a fretting Elijah and grabbed his bottle from the bottle warmer when the doorbell rang.

"Dang who is it?" she thought aloud. The doorbell rang again, and Gaby went to answer the door carrying Elijah. When she opened the door, her mouth dropped.

"Mom? Dad? What are you guys doing here?" Gaby asked, and her father just pointed to Isabelle.

"We had to come back I felt so bad leaving you alone with the kids."

"Mom I told you I was fine when you called. I knew you were up to something." Gaby said shaking her head as she let them in.

After four weeks alone with the twins, Gaby had developed a system that helped her get through the day. After she put the twins down around 1 in the morning, she took the four hours they slept to wash the bottles, filled them up and stuck them in the mini fridge in her room. She would shower and sleep in the nursery until about ten minutes before Victoria woke up demanding her feeding and warm their bottles. Usually, after Victoria was finished being fed Elijah would start to fuss. She spent the day alternating between the babies; she found that Elijah was more laid back than Victoria and would lay in his crib contently unless he had a stomachache then Gaby wouldn't be able to put him down.

"What happened to four months in Italy?"

"I'm sorry Gaby I couldn't help it I missed my little munchkins too much," Isabelle said as she kissed Gabrielle's cheek.

"Let me go freshen up, and I will take him from you."

"Take your time; I was just getting ready to feed him," Gaby said as James kissed her forehead.

"Oh, my goodness Gaby he looks so much like you did when you were a baby," Isabelle said as before she started cooing at Elijah.

"Mom, can I go feed him now?"

"Oh yeah sorry honey," Isabelle said backing away, and Gaby made her way upstairs to feed Elijah while Isabelle and James got settled in. Gaby was dressing Elijah so she could take the twins on their morning walk when Isabelle walked in.

"Where are you going?"

"To take our walk in the park," Gaby said snapping up Elijah's I love Mommy t-shirt.

"You don't think they're too young to go out."

"I talked to their doctor, and he said it was fine and I keep them covered."

"Can I come?" Isabelle asked.

"Of course."

Isabelle and Gaby strolled down the block towards the park. Gaby was enjoying being out in the sunshine and warm spring breeze.

"How have these past few weeks been for you Gabrielle?" Isabelle asked as they walked into the park.

"Fine, I wasn't lying to you when I said I was fine on the phone."

"Come on Gaby this is your mother you're talking to, spill it."

"I am fine mom; I do wish that Nick was here, but it can't be helped. I'm glad you're here though I missed you and daddy." Gaby said as she wrapped her arm around her mother.

"I missed you more; I loved being under the same roof with you again," Isabelle said as she kissed her daughter cheek leaving behind a pink lipstick imprint.