A Day in the Life

Gaby woke up to Nick's tone-deaf crooning as he showered. Gaby sat up in the bed and scratched the back of her head; it had been two weeks since her fight with mother and Gaby still hadn't tried to talk to Isabelle, but it was taking a toll on her.  Gaby walked into the bathroom and rolled her eyes.

"Nick how many times do I have to tell you if your gonna sing 'I Gotta Be' while you're in the shower then do it with the door completely closed and a towel pushed under the crack," Gaby said as she dabbed some toothpaste on her toothbrush.

"Ouch Gabs that hurt. My singing isn't that bad." Nick said as he stepped out of the shower while wrapping a towel around his waist.

"Sorry to tell you but it is." She said wagging her toothbrush at his mirror reflection.

"You're terrible," Nick said as he kissed her cheek before walking out of the bathroom.

When Gaby came out of the bathroom, Nick was already dressed and putting on his tie.

"Do you have time for breakfast?" she asked as she finished tying Nick's tie.

"No, I'll probably grab something on the way, but there is a whole grain muffin for you in the fridge, make sure you eat it." Gaby scrunched up her face and said: "I'll think about it."

"Don't think about it just do it." Nick kissed Gaby on the lips before rushing off down the stairs.

"Don't forget the doctor's appointment at twelve," Gaby yelled at him.

"Got it, see you later." Nick said as he shrugged on his coat and walked out of the door. Gaby let out a sigh as she walked back into the bedroom and tried to find something to wear. Gaby squeezed into a sweat suit and groaned with disgust as she looked herself over.

Gaby decided not to stare at herself for too long before she started to get depressed. She grabbed her laptop and headed down into the kitchen and poured herself a glass of orange juice and the muffin from the fridge. Gaby stared at the muffin and just scoffed as she pushed it away like a child refusing to eat her vegetables. Gaby grabbed the bag of pretzels on the table and chomped away as she read through the latest chapter to her next book. Gaby decided to do something different than the mystery novels she usually wrote and decided to tell the story of two best friends Kiara and Iymanie and how they got into impossible situations, and fall in love for the first time.

Gaby got caught up in her work that she didn't realize that it was almost eleven o'clock. Gaby called Nick, but his cell phone went straight to voicemail. Gaby tossed on a black wrap dress and fixed her hair before calling Nick cell phone and then his office. His receptionist told her that he was in a meeting and asked not to be disturbed. Gaby tried to center herself as she called herself a cab.

********

Nick was sitting in his office going over a proposal when there was a soft knock at his door. When Nick looked up, he felt his mouth drop as he stared at the tall brunette standing in his doorway.

"Madeline?"

"Hi Nick," she said flashing him a smile that used to take his breath away.

"What are you doing here?" Nick asked as he got up from his seat and Madeline hugged him.

"I came to see you." She said as she pulled him into her by his tie and kissed him.

********

"I am so sorry Gaby," Nick said as he rushed up to Gaby who was walking out if her doctor's office with a frown.

"I had a twelve o'clock appointment Nick it's now almost two," Gaby said as she tapped her watch.

"I know I'm sorry I got caught up in a meeting."

"That's your excuse for everything," she said with a huff as she got into Nick's car.

"Is everything okay?"

"Yeah the baby is fine; I lost five pounds, so my doctor isn't happy about that."

"Neither am I; I keep telling you to eat something other than those damn pretzels."

"And I keep telling you I don't feel like eating."

"You need to call your mother so you two can makeup, and you can start eating again. It's been two weeks already."

Gaby didn't respond to Nick's comment; she just looked out the window as they rode in silence for a while until Gaby said: "You need to take me shopping today."

"Aww come on Gaby, not today, I'm exhausted" Nick tried to ignore Gaby's frosty stare but he couldn't so he gave in just like Gaby knew he would. Nick took her to the first maternity boutique he saw and immediately regretted it.

"You're only wearing these clothes for the next six months, for these prices I'm burying you in them," Nick said as he placed a sixty dollar shirt back on the rack. Gaby ignored his rant as she handed him her bag. Nick knew that she was going to be a while, so he took a seat in what looked like it was designated for the few men that walked into the store. Two hours later and a few hundred dollars poorer Nick and Gaby walked out of the store. Nick placed all if the bags in the trunk while Gaby got a soft pretzel from a street vendor. Nick just looked at Gaby as she got in the car.

"Again with the pretzels?"

"Don't start fussing; you will mess up my shopping high, and then I won't cook you dinner tonight."

"Fine eat as many of them things you want just cook me dinner tonight. If I see one more take-out bag, I might just cry."Nick asked not even trying to hide the eagerness in his voice. Nick figured that once Gaby moved in with that, he would have a home-cooked meal every night, but things didn't work out that way.

"I just got a craving for lasagna, with vegetables and ground turkey," Gaby said getting excited about her meal.

"I guess we're stopping by the supermarket?"

"Yup," Gaby said as she shook her head.

When they finally got home, Nick went right into the shower and then dove into the bed. He had worked long hours that week including Saturday; he was exhausted. When Gaby finally woke him up to eat he was starving.

"Gaby this looks and smells amazing," Nick said as he sat across from her at the kitchen table.

"I hope you like it,"  Gaby said as she bit into her breadstick. Nick tasted a forkful of lasagna and was thrown into cheesy, vegetable lasagna goodness. Nick was so caught up in his food that he did not realize that Gaby wasn't eating.

"Gaby, what's wrong?"

"I can't eat this." She said with a sob as tears rolled down her face. Nick scooted his chair to her side and wrapped his arms around her.

"Don't cry I'll get you some more soft pretzels."

"I'm not crying because of the lasagna."

"Then what is it?" Nick asked as he tried to figure out what was going on in her mind.

"It's nothing, sorry." Gaby wiped her face with her napkin "I guess it's just hormones." She said with a shrug.

"Gabrielle Carmina McNair, don't tell me nothing is wrong with you, you just had a break down over lasagna. Talk to me."Nick said as he turned her face with his finger to make her look at him.

"We're crazy to think that we can do this. My mother is right I'm too spoiled and self-absorbed to raise this baby." She confessed. "I can barely take care of myself if it wasn't for you I don't know where I would be. I'm terrified that I'm going to mess this kid up." Gaby said as she cried into Nick's shirt.

"Aww sweetheart," Nick wiped her tears away with his thumb as he caressed her face.

"You forget that you have me and I promise you we will not mess him up."

"I hope so," she said hugging him "And it's a girl." She whispered in his ear. Even though Nick had given her his reassurance, Gaby still felt uneasy, like everything was going to go wrong.