Epilogue

"Happy Anniversary!" Lauryn said as she placed a beautifully decorated cake in front of Gaby that had 'Happy Anniversary Nick & Gaby' written in purple icing.

"This is perfect Lauryn, thank you so much," Gaby said as she bounced Victoria on her hip while she nibbled on a homemade graham cracker.

"No problem."

"Where is Elijah?" Lauryn asked as she kissed Victoria's cheek causing her to giggle.

"At home, he's hanging out with Nick today, for some reason he won't let him out of his sight."

"Aww, that's too cute," Lauryn said with a laugh. "I can't wait until this little one gets here," Lauryn said patting her ever growing stomach.

"I know me too," Gaby said as she rubbed Lauryn's stomach.

"I heard Nick has a big surprise for you."

"That's what he keeps saying, I keep waiting for him to let it slip but he's pretty tightlipped about it."

"Good, I told him that he better not ruin it."

"Do you know what it is?

"No, but I know it's something good," Lauryn said as she packaged up the cake.

"Call me when you find out what it is," Lauryn said handing the cake to Gaby.

"Will do," Gaby said as she left the bakery. When Gaby got home twenty minutes later, she found Nick in the living room with Elijah sitting on his shoulders having fun beating Nick's head like it was a set of bongos.

"Aww, I think little Ricky is ready to go on tour," Gaby said with a laugh as she put Victoria down and she stood up on her wobbly legs before taking a few steps toward her father before reverting back to a crawl and pulled on his pants leg.

"She's going to be walking soon Lucy," Nick said before Gaby gave him a quick peck on the lips.

"I know," Gaby said rolling her eyes, not even wanting to think about what it was going to be like when the twins started walking, they got into everything as it was already.

It had been seven months since the 'Chicago Incident' which it was being called by Gaby, and once they got back to New York, the first thing Nick did was quit his job. Even though Stewart was dead and the firm was under the managing partner Nick refused to work for the company that was associated with a man who had used him as a pawn to fill his pockets. Nick decided to start his firm with the help of Ian and a generous loan from his and Gaby's parents. Being his own boss, Nick had a lot of spare time which he spent at home to helping Gaby with the twins. Nick even encouraged Gaby to leave the house and take her writing to different places around the city for inspiration leaving him alone with the twins, and he truly got a feel for what it was like for Gaby while he was gone.

"You have to see the cake Lauryn made us; it's beautiful."

"I do not doubt that it is," Nick said as he took Elijah off of his neck and sat him down next to his sister who was busy playing with her singamajig doll that Nick insisted that she have.

Gaby walked into the kitchen and checked on the dinner she was making. Lauryn had tried to get Gaby to let her babysit her god-children, but Gaby didn't want to hear it, and Nick agreed. To celebrate their first year married Nick and Gaby opted to have a quiet evening at home with their children. After dinner, Victoria had a melt-down, and Nick struggled to put playful Elijah to bed, finally when the twins were asleep Gaby collapsed onto the living room sofa, and Nick followed suit.

"Happy anniversary," Nick said with a laugh as he stroked the soft skin on Gaby's shoulder. He fingered the long scar on her arm that would forever remind him of the night he almost lost the most important thing in his life.