Distant Lover

"You and I must make a pact, we must bring salvation back, where there is love, I'll be there, I'll reach out my hand to you, I'll have faith in all you do, just call my name, and I'll be there" Gaby sung as she walked with Nick to his taxi. 

"Gaby," Nick called to her, but Gaby was in her own little world.

"I'll be there. I'll be there to comfort you-"

"-Gaby!" Nick yelled stopping Gaby in mid-sentence.

"Yes, Nick?"

"Is that really necessary?"

"What? I was just letting you know that I'll be there-well here when you get back."

"What is up with you and the singing whenever I leave?"

"I told you it helps to keep me from crying." She said with a shrug. "Do you want me to pep it up a bit?"

"Please," Nick said as he handed the cab driver his suitcase.

"I got a distant lover, so many miles away, so far away; I want him close to me." She sang as she bounced to the beat in her head. Nick shook his head and pulled Gaby into him and lifted her head with his index finger and kissed her lips.

"I'll miss you too Gaby." He said against her lips.

"Call me as soon as you land and tell Madeline I said to keep her crusty dirty tramp fingers off of you. I'm just itching to break her fingers anyway." Gaby said with a pout as Nick got into the cab.

"How can you be so devilish and cute at the same time?" Nick questioned,

"'Cause I'm me," Gabrielle beamed as Nick closed the cab door.

"Don't forget to call."

"I won't Gaby."

Gabrielle watched as the cab drove off before returning to the house where Lauryn was sitting in the living room cradling Elijah.

"You say goodbye to your boo?" she asked as she stuck Elijah's pacifier into his mouth.

"Yeah," Gaby said with a sigh as she sat next to Lauryn.

"How are you going to manage all of this Gaby?"

"I don't know, but I'll figure it out," Gaby said more sure than she actually felt.

Gaby sat in the nursery later on that night completely alone giving herself a mental pep talk.

Okay, Gaby, you can do this. You know exactly what to do, nothing will go wrong.

"Yeah, I got this." She said softly as she checked the time on her watch, and it read 11:29. Once it became 11:30 Victoria began to cry her 'I just want to be held' cry and signaling the beginning of a long night.

******

Nick stared at his computer as he sat in the middle of his hotel bed waiting for Gaby to skype him as promised. He had been worried about her since he got in the cab to leave. His clock read 12, so he knew that she would be up with Victoria who just wanted to be held until she went back to sleep for another hour. There was a knock at his door, and with a sigh, he slid off of the bed and answered the door.

"Here you go," Madeline said holding out a sheet of paper to him and he looked at her questioningly.

"What is it?"

"The itinerary for tomorrow, I took the liberty of typing you out one until you get a decent secretary."

"You could have just given this to me in the morning you know." He said as he took the paper from her and skimmed through it.