First Lesson

Mark 2:13-17
"Jesus went to the lake again.  A crowd followed him there, and he taught them.  While he was walking beside the lake, he saw a tax collector named Levi son of Alphaeus.  Levi was sitting in the tax office.  Jesus said to him, "Follow me."  And Levi stood up and followed Jesus.  Later that day, Jesus ate at Levi's house.  There were many tax collectors and "sinners" eating there with Jesus and his followers.  Many people like this followed Jesus.  The teachers of the law who were Pharisees saw Jesus eating with tax collectors and "sinners."  They asked his followers, "Why does he eat with tax collectors and sinners?"  Jesus heard this and said to them, "Healthy people don't need a doctor.  It is the sick who need a doctor.  I did not come to invite good people.  I came to invite sinners."

Now, I know this may seem like a lot for your first time but I will break it down for you.  On school days do you have a routine?  Maybe you always wake up from an alarm, get dressed, eat some food, and then get on the bus or you have a ride.  But point is, you have some type of daily routine that you fall into right?

Well in this story Levi has a daily routine too. He wakes up everyday and then collects his taxes from the people. Now back then, tax collectors were people that everyone hated. He took people's money and then used it for himself as a living.

So one day Jesus approaches Levi by the lake and says, "Follow me." And how does Levi react? He doesn't say, "Wait, Carlos owes me $2." But instead Levi immediately gets up and follows Jesus.

Imagine you being Levi, put your name in his place. Would you stop what you were doing right away and follow Jesus and make Him the most important thing? Or would you push Him until a few other things get done?  Jesus wants to help everyone whether Christians or not, and when He calls to you, try and follow him faithfully and He will safely guide you.

Another lesson for this story is these Pharisees are confused, they do not know why Jesus would eat with such terrible "sinners." And Jesus heard them and his answer is a great way to explain to these Pharisees. He says, "Healthy people don't need a doctor. It is the sick who need a doctor..." Jesus means He wants to help people who are farther from Him and who need more help finding God. Remember, God does not think you are any less important than a devoted follower of Him.