Catching Up

“Awww…you stung my bumblebee!” Dinky said as she moved her piece. “You win.”

Rainbow Dash reached over and patted her shoulder. “Don’t feel bad squirt, I always win this game. Hay, I’m just glad to have the opportunity to play it. There aren’t that many ponies who like to play this in Canterlot.” Except for Princess Celestia. Her conscience needled her before she could smack it down. Shaking her head, she tried to put it out of her mind. “Good game Dinks. Now what?”

The afternoon had gone by in a whirlwind. After snacking on muffins Rainbow Dash and Ditzy Doo shared some reminisces of Flight Camp and retelling funny stories while Dinky drew pictures and then proudly showed them off. Dinky showed Rainbow Dash her room and all her toys and stuffed animals (Dash could literally feel her teeth rotting from the sweetness of it all). Then they settled down to playing board games and Rainbow and Ditzy had even gone a few rounds of wing wrestling. Rainbow Dash had a better time with Ditzy and her daughter than she ever did with the fancy snobs in Canterlot.

“Hmmm….” Dinky stroked her chin the way she’d seen grownups do. “How about if you and momma have a race?”

Dinky had said the million bit word. Rainbow Dash’s eyes came to life at the promise of a race. “Hey, yeah! A race would be awesome! It’d be great to get in some real wing time before I go back to Applejack’s. That is, if you’re up to it Ditzy.”

Ditzy smiled. “Alright then. We’ll fly out of town, just past the edge of the forest. There’s something I wanted to show you anyway.” She plunked Dinky on her back.

Rainbow shrugged. “Sure.”

“Great! Follow me if you can!” Ditzy called as she flew out the front door, Dinky clinging tightly to her back.

“If I can?! Oh you are asking for it!” Rainbow Dash shouted as she zoomed out after her. She caught up with Ditzy Doo and Dinky without even trying. She gave them a loose salute that made them giggle.

“Faster momma! Faster!” Dinky shouted. Ditzy couldn’t well refuse.

“Muffins away!” She called as she flapped harder. Rainbow Dash easily matched her pace. Below them Ponyville sped by, the houses growing further and further apart. Soon they were over a lonely winding dirt road that lay just outside a dark green forest. Curious, Rainbow Dash allowed herself to drift over it.

When Ditzy noticed this she flailed her forelegs wildly. “No! Not over there! Don’t go there!”

“What’s wrong? It’s just some woods!”

“No, that’s the Everfree Forest!” Ditzy’s eyes rolled as she tried to watch the Forest, Rainbow Dash, and Dinky at the same time. “It’s super scary!”

“Pff. Some trees are scary?” Dash snorted. “C’mon, this is sounding like a lame ghost story.”

Dinky shook her head. “Nu-uh! Everypony knows the Everfree Forest is really dangerous! All the weather happens on its own and the plants and animals take care of themselves and its full of monsters and dragons and…and—” She hugged her mother’s neck tighter, shivering slightly.

“Shh, it’s okay muffin.” Ditzy soothed. She looked at Rainbow Dash and put her hooves together, her bright eyes shining. “Can you pleeeease not go over there? Pretty pretty please?”

“Hmph, fine.” She crossed her legs over her chest. “You cheat with the doe eyes, even back in camp you used to pull that!”

Ditzy beamed. “Heheyup! Now follow me, we’re almost there!” Ditzy sped off, as Rainbow Dash followed. Out away Ponyville was a single small cottage, surrounded by flowers and bird houses.