Falling

The mist receded and Rainbow Dash immediately darted out, calling for her friends. “Guys, look out--!”

Nightmare Moon tossed her head back and laughed, thunder and lightning flashing as she did so. “FOALS! You have nowhere to run and nowhere to hide! Your precious Elements of Harmony lie shattered on the ground, along with all your hopes of victory!”

Rainbow Dash was ready to dismiss that as another lie when she saw the broken remnants of the six stone spheres and felt her heart sink. The evil alicorn cackled, so confident in her success that she didn’t even make a move to prevent Rainbow Dash’s from joining her. “Rainbow Dash!” Despite everything, she smiled when she heard and saw her friends running towards her. “You’re all right!” Twilight beamed as she stopped short just in front of her.

“Heh, you know me.” Rainbow ran a hoof through her mane. “Just needed to figure out how to make the best entrance ever.”

“Glad t’see yer in one piece.” Applejack said, slapping Rainbow on the back. The pegasus bit her lip, hard, trying not to wince or yelp. “Even if yer brains still have the same consistency of oatmeal.”

“Oatmeal, are you crazy?” Pinkie Pie looked at her.

Fluttershy walked over and laid her neck across Rainbow’s. “We were so worried!”

“It is good to see you again Rainbow Dash.” Rarity nodded. “I for one certainly hope that you have a backup plan now that the Elements of Harmony are….” She fished for a proper description as she viewed the ruined remains. “…a bunch of dumb rocks.” She commented bitterly.

Rainbow Dash narrowed her eyes and snorted. “Forget the Elements.” Everypony looked up at her in askance.

“Um, Rainbow Dash?” Twilight looked at her. “But, how are we supposed to stop Nightmare Moon without the Elements of Harmony?”

Dash flapped her wings determinedly. “I’ll tell you how! We’re going to stop her ourselves!” She jutted out a hoof and pointed it at them. “Everything can’t be fixed in a neat little package by a bunch of glowy magical rocks or a wave of a hoof or wishing on a star…the only way to make things right is to do it yourself!”

She pointed angrily at Nightmare Moon. “She tried to tempt me with all my dreams like they were just something that could be given to you as a freebie. Well, Celestia taught me that life doesn’t work that way and that you have to work to get where you want to go.” Rainbow Dash looked at each of her friends in turn. “And you know what? We all worked to get where we are: right here, right now. So who needs a bunch of mystic doodads or whatever when we got us?”

The others were looking at each other not quite sure if they were ready to believe this. Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes. Fine. She’d just have to prove it. “Pinkie Pie!” She took to the air and pointed pointed to the pink earth pony. “She saved us all from the Swamp of Despair by being joyful and laughing and, well, being random. If she can make us smile when we were reliving our worst moments EVER, then she can do anything!” Pinkie smiled and let out a small hop of joy.

“Rarity,” Dash turned around. “She surrounds herself with beautiful outfits and stuff, but didn’t hesitate to give away something priceless to her if it meant making things better for others. When a pony’s as generous as her, she would do anything to save the world.” Rarity smiled gratefully, touched by the compliment.

“Applejack!” She looked at the orange farmpony. “She might look and act like a simple old cowpony with a big flank,” Dash gave a little smirk at AJ’s annoyed glower. “But stood up and told the truth when she did something wrong, knowing that it might mean giving up her own life. But more than that, she’s true to herself. She might not be the cleverest of ponies, but when you’re that honest and have that strong a sense of justice, it makes others want to be as good and pure as her.” AJ blushed slightly, tugging her hat down.