Explanations and Confessions

The group’s arrival in Ponyville kick started an immediate celebration when the populace saw the return of both the day and their sovereign. They even accepted the presence of the new Princess Luna without question, laughing and celebrating. Rarity and Applejack were soon swamped by their respective families, hugging and nuzzling, grateful to see them home safe. Fluttershy was surrounded by a small crowd of chipmunks, birds, squirrels and bunnies—including one white bunny who stomped his foot impatiently before Fluttershy swooped him up in a tight hug.

But there was no more heartwarming sight than that of little Dinky Doo wiggling away from Carrot Top and charging for Ditzy. “Momma!!”  She squealed as she tackle hugged her mom.

“Muffin!” Ditzy replied, throwing her arms wide and wrapping them around her daughter as the two of them were knocked to the ground, the two of them nuzzling each other lovingly.

Rainbow Dash, unable to fully get into the spirit of the celebrations for the two princesses, kept her distance and spent her time regaling the story of her and her friends’ adventure to the fillies and colts of Ponyville. Dinky sat in Ditzy’s lap as a small herd of foals hung on Rainbow’s every word of her (overly) dramatic retelling of the struggle against Nightmare Moon.

All of a sudden a pale filly in the front with a frizzy red mane and blocky glasses gasped. “The Printhethh!” She gasped through a lisp, the other fillies and colts exclaiming and pointing. Rainbow turned her head to see Princess Celestia standing over her, bowing her head to the children. “Hello my little ponies.” She smiled gently. “I’m sorry, but I’m afraid I need to borrow Rainbow Dash for a while but I’m sure she’ll be back to finish telling you about her amazing story later.”

Oohs and wows greeted her as the foals realized that the Princess was talking to them! They all nodded and waved, eager to have the Princess talk to them. It was only by promising to speak with them later that Celestia managed to extract herself and Rainbow Dash away.

Rainbow was content to simply follow Celestia into the Golden Oaks Library, which was as empty as it had been the night Nightmare Moon took over. After closing the door behind them, Celestia gave her student a solemn glance. “I believe you and I have much to discuss.”

Snorting disrespectfully and blowing her mane out of her face, Rainbow half-turned away from her teacher and mentor. “No, really, ya think? What could we *possibly* have to talk about? I mean except for, you now, EVERYTHING?!”

Celestia didn’t react, accepting Rainbow Dash’s anger with a nod. “You're right. I’m sorry.”

That made Rainbow whirl around like something that bit her on the tail. “No! Oh no! You don’t get to start off by saying you’re sorry! I’m still mad at you and I need to yell at you! You need to defend what you did so I can yell at you and get it off my chest—that’s how this is supposed to go!” Rainbow’s wings spread up and out, a sign of aggressive behavior to make a pegasus seem larger and more intimidating.

Closing her eyes sadly, Celestia sighed. “I see.” She sat down. “I understand. I know I put an incredible burden upon you. That you acquitted yourself beyond all expectations and performed better than I could ever have doesn’t change that. I am so, so sorry.”

Rainbow Dash tried to keep her angry face plastered on but the corners of her mouth twitched and her eyes started tearing up. She closed her eyes trying to remember all the anger and rage she felt but it was no use. Without even realizing it she had ran to Celestia, her alicorn’s massive wings gently stroking her back as she cried on her shoulder. “W-why?” Dash hiccupped, her throat convulsing as she fought down sobs while trying to speak.

“Oh Rainbow Dash…” Celestia nuzzled her. Neither said anything for a long time. They just held each other, drawing strength and comfort from each other’s presence. The only sound was Rainbow’s occasional sniffling and some hushed soothing words from Celestia. Once she had calmed down, Rainbow lifted her head up to look Celestia in the eye. “Feeling better?” The princess asked gently. At Rainbow’s nod, she stepped back, letting Rainbow compose herself.