Pinkie Pie

By the time Twilight caught up with Rainbow Dash and Applejack, they had already been relaxing in the center of Ponyville. “What took you so long?” Rainbow Dash asked the panting unicorn, who looked up at her with a strong sense of aggravation.

Applejack missed it as she was scanning the sky. “What’s the weather supposed to be like for the celebration?”

Twilight consulted her official overseer’s checklist. “Clear blue skies. Why?” She looked up. “Oh.” The sky was pockmarked with white wispy clouds. “That isn’t right at all! Oooh, where is that weatherpony?!” She started to look very flustered.

“Hey, give Ditzy Doo a break.” Rainbow Dash spoke up, giving her a look. “She’s working two jobs and has a foal. So she’s a little behind schedule. Big deal.”

The lavender unicorn seemed to shrink in on herself. “I-I didn’t know. I’m sorry, I just…” Rainbow Dash sighed and looked apologetic, even without Applejack giving her a warning look. She couldn’t even be angry at Twilight.

“It’s okay…Sorry for snapping at you.” Rainbow Dash gave her a small smile. No wonder Shining Armor wanted her to get away from her studies for a bit…this pony was as asocial as any she’d ever met. Eager to move away from the awkwardness, Rainbow decided to ask Twilight something. “Say, do you know why Sweet Apple Acres is in charge of catering for the whole Summer Sun Celebration instead of Sugarcube Corner? No offense, Applejack.” She was quick to add to mollify the upset farmpony. “But after meeting Pinkie Pie it just seems weird that she wouldn’t be involved in planning a party. It’s probably her middle name.”

“Pinkie Party Pie! Oooh that sounds good!” The three ponies suddenly found a familiar pink face that had popped up in the middle of their little group. “It isn’t my real middle name but it sounds sooo good! I’m gonna tell everypony I meet to call me that! Pinkie Party Pie! Pinkie Party Pie! Pinkie Party—PMMHMH!” She said around a mouthful of Dash’s hoof.

“Where did you come from?” Rainbow Dash asked in annoyance. Pinkie was great for throwing parties but her bubbly enthusiasm and energy could quickly become grating. She withdrew her hoof to let Pinkie speak…something she quickly regretted.

“Hmm, well I came from a rock farm just outside of Ponyville, so I guess I’m a farmer just like Applejack!”

Applejack looked confused, which was shared by Twilight and Rainbow Dash. “Did you say, ‘rock farming?’”

“Yuperooni dooni!”

“…mind explaining that?”

“Weeell…..it’s supposed to be a secret, but okay!” Pinkie looked around to make sure there weren’t any other ponies around who could overhear. The ponies leaned in. “We say we’re a rock farm, but really we guard Equestria from the menace of the rock lords.” Pinkie Pie looked solemn.

“Rock lords? What are those? I’ve never heard of them.” Twilight tilted her head in confusion.

“Duh! If you knew it wouldn’t be a secret! Rock lords are…living rocks with strength and might, rising up to crash and fight! Rock lords—powerful living rocks! Shaking, quaking, crashing, breaking…”

“You’re pulling our hooves, aren’t you?” Rainbow Dash deadpanned. Pinkie looked her square in the face, her expression serious…for all of about three seconds. Then her lip trembled and she had to bit down. She snorted, giggling.

“Of course I am!” Pinkie squealed, falling back on her rump and laughing. “That’s just silly! But I had you going there, didn’t I?”

The three mares looked at each other and in unison, rolled their eyes. “Eh, I dunno there Pinkie. Rock lords? Seriously that is the most random and lame thing I have ever heard in my entire life.” Rainbow said, but her face betrayed a small grin. “I guess you’re a prankster, huh Pinkie?”