Fluttershy

“I-I won!” Rainbow Dash panted as she stopped in a cloud of dust that settled outside Fluttershy’s cottage.

“Nuts to that!” Applejack snorted as she pawed at the air in front of her. “Ah did!”

Rainbow flapped her wings, trying to clear the dust so they could see each other properly. “Sounds to me like you’ve had one too many apples fall on your head. I beat you by a mile!”

“Ah was here first!” AJ maintained, waving her own hat to clear the air.

Then a familiar, hesitant sounded voice spoke up. “Well, technically if you want to go by which pony arrived first, then I guess I won.” The two racers turned just in time to see the dust clear away, revealing an immaculate Twilight Sparkle who didn’t have so much as a speck of dust on her coat or a hair out of place in her mane.

Applejack felt her jaw drop. “How’d you do that?”

Twilight’s horn flashed in answer. “Oh, I teleported.” She said as it were the simplest thing in the world.

“From all the way back there?” Rainbow Dash tossed her head, indicating the path behind them.” Twilight blinked.

“…Yes?” She said hesitantly, as if afraid she did something wrong.

Applejack whistled. “Whoo-ey! Ah guess you weren’t exaggeratin’ none when you said you had some powerful magic!”

“I never actually said that but…why would you think that I was?” The lavender unicorn asked innocently.

“No reason…heh, guess I’ve been hanging around with this ‘un too much.” AJ chuckled, indicating Rainbow Dash.

The pegasus in question, raised her head and, deciding to take the high road, stuck her tongue out at Applejack. None of them noticed the door behind them opening up or the teal eyes that ever so slightly peered around them. That is, not until a certain white rabbit applied his fuzzy foot to the rump of the cream colored pegasus who owned said eyes, knocking outside. “Eep!” She squeaked, drawing attention to herself.

“Fluttershy, hey…what are you doing on the ground?” Rainbow asked.

“Oh, um, nothing. That is, unless you want me to be doing something. It’s nice. The grass I mean.” She shrunk down.

Rainbow Dash trotted over, shaking her head. “Fluttershy, seriously? You know me and you saw these ponies at the party, remember?”

“W-well, yes, um but I don’t really know them. I’m sure they’re really, very nice but ponies I don’t know make me a little bit…nervous.” She squeaked. “Sorry.”

Groaning, Rainbow helped pull Fluttershy to her hooves. “A little, huh? Well, this is Applejack and Twilight Sparkle.”

“Oh yes, I know Applejack.” Fluttershy scuffed the ground with her hoof. “I do check ups for her dog, Winona and sometimes I talk to the animals on her farm so they don’t eat too many apples.”

“Darn good job you do too.” AJ nodded approvingly. “You’re always welcome to stop by but ah swear you like talking to them little varmints better than you like talking to ponies.” Her tone was light but Fluttershy flinched.

“Oh no! I mean, well, yes I do but it’s just that animals are much easier to talk to—but I’m sure you’re easy to talk to also, it’s just….I don’t know…” She curved into a little squeaking ball, utterly tongue tied.

Applejack kneeled down in front of her. “Steady there pardner, it’s okay. Ah was just funning ya.” She took on a calm even voice, the kind she used to try to settle a panicked sheep or cow to prevent them from stampeding.