Dog Days

“What’s the reason to be lonely,

When there’s other folks like you?

And like birds of a feather, they all flock together too

Where there’s music and there’s laughter

And good times that have no end

Come with me and let your fur down with a friend!”

Pinkie bounced around the group, still singing happily at the top of her lungs. While her singing and laughter had saved them from the Swamp of Despair, she didn’t see their freedom as a reason to stop.

“Pinkie…” Rainbow Dash groaned, her amusement to annoyance ratio somewhere at 50:50 and tilting towards annoyance. “We’re not in the swamp or sad anymore…you can stop now.”

“Awww, but Dashie! Where’s the fun in that?” She pouted before launching into another verse.

“Come with me and let your fur down

Come with me to step inside

Come with me, join the hoe down

Come with me just for the ride

Come with me unto the bright light,

Come with me around the bend

Come with me and let your fur down with a friend!”

Applejack shook her head. “Boy howdy, they ain’t no stopping her, is there?”

“Nope!” Pinkie giggled. “I just keep going and going and going…” She emphasized each ‘going’ with a bounce.

Rarity tossed her mane. “Well, I for one am certainly grateful for Pinkie’s singing in getting us out of that filthy, dirty swamp!” She shuddered as she looked at herself. “Just look at what it did to my coat!” Rarity let out a low whine as she shook herself, trying to dislodge whatever remaining dirt and was still stuck in her fur.

“Nice to know your priorities are still in order.” Rainbow muttered.

Rarity ran a hoof through her mane. Then suddenly, her eyes widened. “Nononononono!” She frantically ran both her hooves through her mane, not caring as she messed up her hair.

Fluttershy looked over at her. “What’s wrong?”

“My necklace!” Rarity shrieked, looking around at the ground. “I keep it in my mane! But it isn’t there! It’s gone!”

Rainbow Dash flicked her head, her patience at a low ebb. “It’s not like you don’t have a dozen others back in your shop. I’ll even get you another one—you know, right after we’re finished SAVING THE WORLD!”

Rarity shook her head frantically, her face wet with tears. “Y-you don’t understand! This is the. Worst. Possible. Thing! Really!” She cried. “I-it was a gift from my grandmother after I made my first dress! It’s irreplaceable!”

“Sugarcube, ah’m sorry but we don’t have the time!” Applejack gently tapped her own hat. “Ah know how y’feel, but everypony in the world is counting on us! Ah’ll help you look for it on the way back, ah promise.”

“Wait.” Everypony looked as Twilight spoke up. “Give me a minute.” Twilight shut her eyes. “Here goes…” Her horn lit up as she focused. All of a sudden a white ball of magic appeared out of her horn and zoomed back in the direction they had just come from. Twilight galloped after it. About a minute later, Twilight returned with something clutched in her magical grip.