Betrayed

Ezra's POV

The meeting with Vizago had been very strange. He had given us the mission in a hurry, almost as if he wanted us gone. He hadn't even tried to swindle us by giving us the least possible amount of credits. I thought I caught him staring at me at least twice.

In the end, the mission he gave us was absurdly easy. It was so easy in fact, that we were done within a day. All he wanted was some food supplies from a local merchant. Hardly rebel worthy.

"I've got a transmission scheduled with Fulcrum in a little bit," Hera told us later that day, after the mission.

"Would you like us to wait before bringing Vizago the supplies?" Kanan asked.

"No, I'll stay behind. You can all take the Phantom," she said. "If he doesn't get his supplies today, we don't get paid."

"Still, I don't like the thought of leaving you here without any backup," Kanan said.

"What if Sabine, Zeb and I go make the delivery, and you stay here with Hera?" I suggested. Kanan and Hera shared a look.

"No, we'll all make the delivery together after Hera's meeting with Fulcrum," Kanan said.

"You guys never didn't let me go on missions myself before you found out I had wings," I pointed out.

"We're just worried about you," Hera explained.

"I've kept my wings hidden from you this whole time," I pointed out. "If I can hide it from you while I'm living on the Ghost, I'm pretty sure I can hide it from the Empire and Vizago on one little delivery mission."

I could tell that Kanan and Hera didn't like the idea, but there was nothing they could do about it. At least, there was nothing I would let them do about it.

"As long as Sabine and Zeb go too, this should turn out just fine," Hera pointed out. Kanan finally nodded in agreement.

We grabbed the crates and took of in the Phantom, heading towards Vizago's camp. We landed on the outskirts, where Vizago's security droids were waiting, along with the smuggler himself. We brought them the crates, but he barely bothered to check the contents.

"Good work, as always," he told us.

"Where are the credits?" Sabine asked.

"They're onboard my ship," he told us. "I can go in and get them, unless you would like to join me as well?"

"We'll wait out here, where you're less likely to lock us up," I told him. He grinned at me and nodded.

"Of course little Jedi. I will be right back with your credits."

He went onboard his ship while we waited with his security droids. There were five of them, and they all had their blasters out. I always wondered why Vizago kept them around.

Vizago came back outside, carrying a small box. That had to be the credits. He handed them to Sabine.

"There you are," he told us. "Your credits, as promised."

"They're all there?" Sabine asked.

"They are, but feel free to check," he offered. Sabine opened the box and Zeb stepped closer in order to see what was inside. Vizago had been right. They were the credits.

I heard a sudden tearing sound and felt my jacket snag on something. I flared my wings and spun around, knocking Vizago back. He was holding a knife. He had sliced open my jacket, revealing my wings. Within moments Zeb and Sabine both had their weapons ready.

"So you really do have wings, little Jedi," Vizago said.

"We'll just leave now," I told him.

"Oh no," he said, standing up and walking backwards as more security droids closed in. "I've been offered quite a few credits for you three. Unfortunately for you, they don't care whether you are dead or alive. And killing you and bringing them your bodies is much simpler than bringing you alive."

He signaled with his hand and the security droids all raised their blasters. There were eight of them now. We were surrounded. There wouldn't be any escape back to the Phantom, not if Vizago wanted us dead.

"Kill them!" Vizago ordered his droids.