Fire Through Darkness

Ezra's POV

We weren't going down without a fight.

I extended a hand, sending out a force wave. The security droids skidded back a short distance, but their feet stopped me from being able to move them a good amount of distance away. Sabine engaged one of them with her blasters, but these weren't your average security droids. They were high class, with all sorts of censers and installed with hundreds of fighting techniques. They dodged her shots easily and rushed forward to engage. Zeb was busy fighting his own two security droids, leaving me to deal with the other five and Vizago.

I gave my wings an experimental flap, but they weren't strong enough for me to fly with yet. If I had to take a guess, I would say they needed at least another two hours to be fully healed. Instead, I drew my lightsaber and fired a couple of energy shots at the security droids.

My energy shots did more damage that Sabine's blaster, but it was still nearly impossible to hit the droids. I finally managed to take down one as the others closed in.

"Too bad that you're other rebel friends aren't here as well," Vizago said from a safe distance away. "Otherwise I could have been paid for them too."

"Well, that's too bad," I replied while ducking beneath a blaster bolt. "Once they learn about you trying to kill us, they'll never work for you again. You'll never find them, and you'll lose a prime source of credits."

"Unless you die and they never learn the truth," he pointed out. I heard Sabine cry out in pain behind me and turned around quickly. She had lost her blasters and a security droid pinned her to the ground. He was holding a blaster to her head. Zeb was busy with his own problems. I raised my lightsaber and took aim.

I fired at the same instant that a blaster shot caught my hand. My lightsaber went spinning away, out of reach. The security droid that had Sabine pinned fell to the side as its circuits overloaded.

"Enough!" Vizago called. I turned to face him again as Zeb, Sabine and I stood back to back. We had deactivated a grand total of four of the droids, but I could see more coming towards us from Vizago's ship. Sabine had lost her blasters and I had lost my lightsaber, making Zeb the only one with a real weapon.

"You have lost," Vizago told us. "I detest ordering my droids to become a firing squad, but they must if you will not come to your new cells quietly. All except you, little Jedi. You are much too dangerous to keep alive."

"Fly away, Ezra!" Sabine whispered to me. "Bring help!"

"I can't fly yet," I admitted. I heard a faint beeping and glanced down at my arm. My communicator was flashing. Kanan and Hera were trying to contact us! If only there was some way to tell them where we were. They could rescue us. As long as Vizago or the Empire didn't kill us first. I brushed the communicator, accepting the transmission. I would just have to hope that Kanan and Hera had the sense not to start shouting through it instantly.

"Come away from the boy, and you won't be hurt!" Vizago called.

"If you want to kill him, you'll have to kill us as well!" Zeb shouted back. This wasn't going to end well if we died. We had to hold out and wait for the others.

"Wait!" I declared, spreading my wings as the droids raised their blasters. "Don't kill us Vizago! I'm sure the Empire will pay more for us alive! They'll want to question us about other rebels!"

"We already discussed payment," Vizago told me. "The Empire has said they will pay the same amount, regardless of your death. They only want proof that you truly are dead. Your wings should be enough. They will make fancy trophies on the wall."

I felt anger burn through me. They couldn't take my wings. Vizago smirked.

"Fire!" he commanded. The droids raised their blasters once again as I turned to Sabine and Zeb.

"The rebels are on their way!" I told them as I dragged them both to the ground. I wrapped my wings around the three of us. They weren't quite long enough, leaving me partially exposed, but at least the others were protected. I heard the blasters, felt fire burn through my wings, and everything faded into darkness.