Break In

Kanan's POV

The location that Chopper brought us to should have been an empty field of grass according to the hologram, but when we flew overhead there was an abandoned landing platform. It should have been ruined beyond repair, but instead it was in relatively good condition. There was a large building connecting to the platform.

"That's strange," Hera muttered. She took us lower as we came around for another pass. I couldn't see any guards or people, yet something still seemed wrong.

"I think we may be on to something," I said. "We should go check it out."

"I don't like this," Hera told me. "You can go if you want, but I'm going to be ready to make a quick getaway."

Hera lowered the Ghost onto the platform and I jumped down. Seconds later she took off again. I ran towards the building and waited by the door as the Ghost flew away. When no guards came out to investigate, I went inside.

It was bright and clean, like a lab. The walls and floor were white. There was a door to my left, a door to my right, and a door directly in front of me labeled Solutions. I slowly eased open the door in front of me before glancing inside.

People in white lab coats were talking to each other as they worked with vials of strange liquids. There was a mess of liquid directly between me and a door at the far end of the room. A girl in a white lab coat was busy cleaning it up.

This certainly was a lab of some sort. The question was, were the others here?

Ezra's POV

Doctor Carther checked a datapad in front of him as painful electrical shocks raced through my wings.

"Amazing," he said to himself. "As soon as the pulse destroys the nerve endings, they heal. It seems to be healing even faster now than before. I wonder what would happen if I increase the intensity. . ."

Doctor Carther turned a knob on the side of the datapad and the pain in my wings increased.

The building rocked and Doctor Carther dropped his data pad. He growled in frustration as a lab assistant burst into the room. It was difficult to understand them through the pain in my wings.

"Sir!" the lab assistant said desperately. "The fault we've been tracking! It's shifted! The whole facility! It's sinking!" Instantly Doctor Garther reacted.

"Get the vials! Pack the solutions as well! Then get everyone to the emergency shuttle!" he commanded. The lab assistant hurried out of the room, followed closely by Doctor Carther. Within moments I was alone with only the pain in my wings and the rocking of the room for company.

Kanan's POV

The building shook slightly and I heard an alarm blare. The lab workers all began running around and gathering bottles and jars. They must have known I was here.

I grabbed my blaster and burst into the room, ready to do battle. To my complete surprise, everyone ignored me. They just continued gathering vials.

I ran through the room and into the next. I only hoped I could find the others before some guards caught up with me.

This next room was a long hallway filled with caged animals. I walked along the hallway, blaster held ready.

"Kanan!" a familiar voice shouted.

"Sabine?" I asked, lowering my blaster and running along the hall. I found Zeb and Sabine in superset cages, near the center of the hallway. Zeb's arms were bound together, but otherwise the two of them appeared unharmed.

"The kid really did make it!" Zeb cheered. I activated my lightsaber and sliced through the cage bars. Sabine and Zeb stepped out into the open.

"What are you talking about?" I asked.

"Didn't Ezra tell you where we are?" Sabine asked as Zeb held out his arms. I broke the metal band.

"I haven't seen Ezra since you three vanished on your supply run," I told them. Sabine and Zeb shared a look.

"So he really is dead," Sabine said softly.

"What happened?" I asked.

"Ezra tried to escape to warn you and Hera about what had happened," Sabine explained. "He didn't make it."

My heart plummeted. I hadn't gotten here in time. It was all my fault that Ezra was dead.

The building rocked more violently than before. A voice came on over a hidden com system.

"All staff please report to the emergency shuttle. I repeat, all staff please report to the emergency shuttle. The building is about to be destroyed."

"We have to go," I said. The others nodded, and together we ran back the way I had come.