The Trail

Kanan's POV

We landed in Bay 12. The bay was deserted at the moment. I had Chopper plug in to the wall and start searching the records. Meanwhile, Hera and I searched for any clues about the others.

We found a trail of blood and feathers leading from one side of the bay to the other. The others must have transported from one ship to another. That meant that they weren't here.

"Find anything, Chopper?" Hera asked. Chopper beeped and displayed a hologram. It was a record of an imperial shuttle which had landed here within the last hour. It had been a prison transport shuttle.

"It doesn't say where is was going," I noted.

"Well, a big prison shuttle shouldn't be too hard to track," Hera pointed out. "And there are only so many holding camps on Lothal."

"I'm not sure how much time we have to find them," I told her. "If we take too long . . ."

"They'll be fine," Hera assured me. "We'll find them as soon as we can."

Ezra's POV

I'm not sure how long it took for me to come around. It felt like only seconds ago that I had closed my eyes as what felt like fire burned through my wings. Now I was somewhere I had never seen before. I was laying on my stomach on some sort of metal table with my wings spread out behind me. I could faintly hear people speaking, but it sounded like they were far away.

"Astonishing," a voice said. "I have never had the opportunity of studying a creature of this species before. Simply wonderful."

"Will this specimen provide conclusive results?" a different voice asked.

"Oh yes, I believe it most certainly will," responded the first voice. I felt something pick up on of my wings and lift it slightly. "Look at this, blaster wounds everywhere."

"Yes, the smuggler who turned him in certainly wasn't taking any chances," the second voice replied in a tired sort of way.

"But that isn't the point," pressed the first voice. "Look here, at its back. The wounds are darker and larger. And here on the wings, they are smaller, more healed. It's almost as if there is something in its wings that are enabling them to heal faster."

"And that is what the Empire is paying you to discover," the second voice said. "Be sure to keep an eye on this one. He has a nasty habit of escaping."

I felt my wing lower back onto the table. Experiment? Results? This must be a hallucination. All a bad dream. I faded back into darkness.