Dawn

Kanan's POV

I heard the blaster shot and saw Ezra's wings flutter. I grabbed his arm and Zeb helped me pull him into the cargo bay of the Ghost. I glanced back down at the sinking building.

Someone was standing there in a white lab coat, holding a blaster. He looked just like Agent Kallus, except younger. He must have been the one who shot at Ezra.

I extended a hand and the building collapsed, shooting up a cloud of dust. The person vanished under an avalanche of rocks and debris.

"Kid!" Zeb said loudly. "You can't do this! Not after everything that's happened!"

I turned away from the building far below and back to Ezra and Zeb. Zeb was holding Ezra in a sitting position. I knelt beside them.

Ezra's shirt was scarlet. I checked his breathing, but there was no pulse. He was dead. He was actually dead. Zeb lowered him to the ground. Sabine, Hera, and Chopper entered the room. Hera had tears in her eyes. Sabine looked away.

No. I wouldn't let Ezra be dead. Not if I could do anything about it.

"We might be able to bring him back," I said. The crew looked at me as if I was crazy.

"Kanan, I know he was your padawan, but . . ." Sabine began, trailing off awkwardly.

"Jedi can't bring back the dead, can they?" Zeb asked.

"We can try. He may not have become one with the force yet," I growled. I placed my hand on Ezra's chest.

"Place your hands on mine and concentrate with all your might on Ezra," I commanded. They all gathered around and obeyed me. Even Chopper. I was counting on the fact that I could use the force, and that every living thing had the force, even if some couldn't use it. Besides, Ezra was special. He would come back. This would work.

I closed my eyes and concentrated with all my might on healing Ezra. I remembered everything I knew about him. I thought about everything, even the little things I had never taken the time to notice before.

"Kanan!" Hera gasped. I opened my eyes. Ezra's wings were glowing. As we watched, his wings faded. The glow moved to Ezra's chest before vanishing completely. I lifted my hand and we all moved back slightly.

Ezra blinked. He groaned and sat up, coughing slightly.

"Ezra!" we all shouted, pouncing forward to hug him. He laughed weakly and winced, placing a hand on his chest.

"Here, let me see that," I told him. Everyone else backed away as I pulled aside a bit of Ezra's shirt. He still had a wound, but it wasn't life threatening any more. His wings were completely gone.

"You may be alive again, but you're in rough condition," I told him.

"What happened?" he asked.

"Some lab worker who looks like Agent Kallus shot you when you were almost to the Ghost," I explained.

"Doctor Carther," Zeb growled, cracking his knuckles. "I'm gonna kill that filthy little-"

"Zeb!" Hera exclaimed, folding her arms. Zeb stopped talking.

"Don't worry. Whoever he was, he's dead now," I told the others. "Let's get you to your bed, Ezra."

I helped Ezra stand up. We took two steps before he stopped again.

"Kanan," he said slowly, "what happened to my wings?"

"I'm not sure," I admitted. "I think they were what brought you back to life. They vanished right before you woke up."

Ezra closed his eyes, but he let me lead him to his bed. After he was situated, I turned to leave.

"Thank you Kanan," Ezra said.

"Of course," I told him. "It's all over. You never have to be afraid again."

"Good night Kanan."

"Good night Ezra."

---

That's it! I hope you all enjoyed this little side project. If you did, leave a vote/comment! Also, I'm starting another short project. It's a Star Wars Rebels fanfiction that is called No Second Chances. There's another one I'm starting as well called The Hunt. Also Star Wars Rebels. I'll try to update them every three days. The next two chapters are just book covers and summaries for the two new books. I love you all! (In an author to reader sense of course)

May the force be with you
MOONHEART