ONE: The "New" Girl - Pt. 1

My mom liked to tell people that I was the "easy going" child

I think this was mostly due to comparison with my siblings. My older brother, Evan, had been a two-year-old terror who had then evolved into a moody teenager before escaping off to college. Mallory, meanwhile, had been born with a scream that could break the sound barrier, and her volume hadn't diminished with age. Wedged between these two, little old me—Jessa Brown—was a verifiable angel.

That said, I guess I was pretty easy going—at least by teenager standards. When you're seventeen, your brain is supposed to get rewired by the rush of hormones flooding through your veins. It's why you lash out and hate your parents and start doing drugs until it all sorts itself out in your twenties.

But I'd never really felt that way. I wasn't angry at the world for existing. I didn't yell at my parents on a nightly basis. And I never had so much as a crush on a guy in school, let alone a boyfriend to whisk me off to parties where people snorted cocaine and had sex on table tops.

Honestly, there was a part of me concerned that there was something wrong with me. Did I have some sort of undiagnosed hormone deficiency? Was I dropped on my head as a child? Was I was just weird?

But then again, there was another part of me that didn't mind my drama-free life. My life so far, painted in broad strokes, was a leisurely boat ride with only the occasional wave. I didn't have any cause to be angry or mean or upset. I had a loving family, I did fine in school, and I had a best friend who I'd give up the world for. I had everything I wanted.

And then Monday rolled around and everything changed.

Taylor plopped a crinkled paper bag onto my desk in homeroom and grinned

"Take a look, Jessa," she said, swinging her legs beneath her chair.

I peered inside the bag and my jaw dropped. "They had morning glory muffins today?"

"Yep!" My best friend grinned and took a sip of her iced coffee. "Usually some douche grabs the last one, but not today. I got the distinct honor." She gestured fancily with her arm. "For you, my dear."