FIFTEEN: A Hell of a Time - Pt. 1

"This can't be happening

"This can't be happening..." I muttered, scanning the room for Taylor.

Alex was still squinting over at Billy. "Wait, isn't that the girl Taylor brought to my party?"

I ignored Alex, my gaze sweeping across the darkened room. I need to keep Taylor away from her, I thought. Just until I can fix everything...

But I was too late. I spotted Taylor weaving her way through the dance floor, pushing through the crowd towards Billy and Clarissa.

"Shit," I cursed, stumbling my way through the dancers as I tried to catch up with her.

I heard Alex call after me, but I didn't have time to explain.

By the time I reached Taylor, Clarissa had already dragged Billy into a corner of the dance floor. She threw herself on him as she danced. Billy, meanwhile, was standing there in a state of shock, arms held out at his side, no doubt wondering what was going on.

"Clarissa," Taylor said. Her voice was a mix of shock and confusion.

Clarissa barely spared her a second glance as she shimmied over Billy. "Hey Taylor."

Taylor seemed at a lost for words. "I... I was worried about you. You didn't return my texts or my calls."

Clarissa spun in a circle, stroking Billy's face with her hand. "I was busy," she said.

"I don't understand what's going on. I thought we were going to this together?"

"I changed my mind," Clarissa said. "I decided to go with Billy instead."

"But... I thought you liked me?" Taylor asked, her eyes watering.

For the first time, Clarissa actually gave Taylor the courtesy of looking at her. However, her blue eyes were cold. "Well, you thought wrong."

Taylor stumbled back, as if shot. As she grappled for words, Clarissa said, "Now leave us alone," and turned back to face Billy.

Before I could say anything, Taylor had turned away and ran off, disappearing out the double gym doors and into the school.

I wanted to chase after her, but I couldn't bear to see Clarissa throwing herself all over Billy like this. Couldn't bear to see what I had done to her. I could feel the thread woven between Clarissa and me pulsing, like some toxic artery. I closed my eyes and yanked—and just like that, I felt our connection shatter. Clarissa was free from my spell.

I watched her blue eyes widen in surprise as the cord snapped, and suddenly she stumbled, and then started to collapse into a heap. It was only her close proximity to Billy that prevented her from hitting her head on the ground; he caught her awkwardly as she fell, slowing her descent to the gymnasium floor.

"Oh my God," I gasped, terrified by her collapse. I had not been expecting her to faint.

Billy looked scared too, but he had his wits about him more than me. He slid her to the ground, felt her pulse quickly. "She's fine," he said. "I think she just passed out."