NINE: It's Just a Game

On Saturday, I met Lana at the Arlington High School football field

On Saturday, I met Lana at the Arlington High School football field. It was an old piece of land with grass the color of wheat and dented bleacher seats. The football team had been trying to drum up funding for Astroturf for years, but the team wasn't good enough for the school to invest thousands of dollars on fake grass. But our lacrosse team... well, they were actually decent. Not that most people in the world care about lacrosse, but it was nice to have a team to root for that didn't lose Every. Single. Game.

Even though it was just a scrimmage match, there were a surprising number of people sitting on the bleachers. I think part of it had to do with the weather; it was a perfect game day, with a calm autumn sun and the tiniest whisper of a breeze. I found Lana sitting dead center in the bleachers, her eyes glued to the match, which had already started. She was wearing a jean jacket over a T-shirt that read "Arlington Lacrosse." I had seen those shirts for sale in the school bookstore, but I had never seen anyone successfully wear them. They had always seemed incredibly dorky to me, and yet somehow Lana pulled it off.

Demon magic, most likely.

"Sorry I'm late," I said, sidling up next to her. "Taylor is on her date now and she absolutely blew up my phone just as I was about to leave the house. Apparently the girl went to the bathroom and Taylor couldn't wait a moment longer to tell me everything."

"No worries," Lana said, her eyes locked on the field. "Is she enjoying the date?"

"Yeah. I think so. She's going to stop by here afterwards to give us the full scoop." I followed her gaze. Half of the players wore yellow pinnies, and the other half wore blue. It took me a while to find Billy from beneath all the crimson helmets, but after a good minute of searching, I finally found him darting around the field in a loose blue pinny.

"He's a midfielder," Lana explained to me, and when I blinked at her, she sent me a look. "You told me to brush up on the rules of lacrosse. So I'd have something to talk about with him."

"Oh, right." I scanned the field, unsure exactly what I was looking at. I might have told Lana to brush up on her lacrosse, but that didn't mean I knew anything about the sport. The scoreboard wasn't lit so I couldn't even tell who was winning. "How's he doing?"

She smiled. "He's doing great, but his teammates suck. At least, the blue teammates suck. They haven't even scored yet. Yellow is up by two."

"Ah." I fiddled with my shirt fabric, trying to watch the game, but I had a hard time understanding it all. Sports were a lot less exciting when you had no clue what was happening. I normally went to Arlington games with a huge group of friends, most of whom didn't know anything about the game as well. It made it more of a social event than a sporting event. But Lana was completely engrossed in the match, her eyes not only locked on Billy but on the logistics. I could see her hand twitching as the minutes crept by, her mouth moving as if she wanted to yell at the players and coach them herself.