SIXTEEN: Into the Fire - Pt. 2

His words made me feel sicker than I had cleaning out the fridge. "Excuse me," I said, running to the bathroom. This time, I actually threw up.

As I choked into the toilet, spittle running down my chin, a voice above me said, "I didn't mean to upset you."

"Gah!" I gasped, surprised to see that James had followed me into the bathroom. He stood just a few feet away, and I scrambled for some toilet paper to wipe up my face.

"You shouldn't do that," I said. There was anger in my voice, but it was mostly masking the terror I felt. I did not want this to be real. I did not want there to be an angel in my bathroom, watching me puke, and telling me that I needed to confront the Devil in the Underworld. But it was all real. And I really felt sick to my stomach.

"Can you give me a minute?" I said, feeling another wave of nausea.

James stood there.

"I meant out in the hall!" I snapped, and James finally seemed to get the point and stepped out.

I threw up only once more. The last few attempts were just a couple of dry heaves. By the time I left the bathroom, my insides hurt.

I found James sitting on the couch in the family room, reading a dusty paperback my mother had purchased years ago but had always been too busy to finish. His briefcase was sitting on the coffee table like a small square brown island.

I took a seat in an armchair, and looked over at James warily. He didn't look at me, just continued to read, giving me the space I needed.

We sat in silence together for a good five minutes, until I finally worked up the courage to ask him what his plan was.

"I'm sorry," he apologized, shutting the book. He looked sincere as he said, "I didn't mean to upset you. This is just... big stuff."

"I know," I said, rubbing my face. "The world could actually end. I get it. But I don't know how I'm supposed to do this. I'm... I'm just a teenager."

"I know I'm asking a lot," James said, "but I truly believe you are the best chance we have at ending this war."

"Why me?"

"Because you and the Devil made a deal."

"So?"

"It was different than Lana's usual deal. You didn't trade away your soul. You helped her. And now Lana owes you something in return."

For a moment, I felt a glimmer of hope. "Wait—can I just ask for Billy back? For my reward?"

I knew my idea was too good to be true when James shook his head. "That won't work," he said gently. "I've seen how Lana crafts her deals; I know the way she handles her loophole. If you try to do that, she definitely will not give you the boy. And it could shatter any trust the two of you have built between each other."

"I think she shattered that already," I mumbled, but James shook his head.

"That trust is why I think you are the only one who can stop all of this. You two formed a bond over the past few weeks."

"I honestly don't know that we did," I said, rubbing my face. "I can't tell what was real and what was her manipulating me to get what she wanted."

"Maybe it was real, maybe it wasn't. But that bond is the best chance we have. And I need you to exploit it."

"How?"

"You need to ask for a ticket to the Underworld for your reward. That will get you to her. Then, once you're down there, you must convince her to give Billy back." He said it like it was simple, but I knew it was anything but.