BONUS: The Playlist

I've noticed that some books on Wattpad include a playlist with songs that either inspired the story or songs that the author listened to while writing. I personally don't write with music on (it's too distracting and I just end up singing along instead of writing). However, as I've been working on the second draft of this book, I've realized that there are several songs that have inspired me to write, and other songs that just remind me of this book and its characters. So I am including the list below, just in case any of you are looking for some new (or old!) music, or just wanted a little bit of a glimpse into my brain.

 So I am including the list below, just in case any of you are looking for some new (or old!) music, or just wanted a little bit of a glimpse into my brain

- - -

Highway by Bleeker

This song has the title in it, so it has to make the list. :) It also has this upbeat, rock feel that I love. I feel like if this book was a movie, this would be playing at the beginning when Lana is introduced, or over the title page.

"The devil's in the details/pretty little females/tell me all your sweet sweet lies."

- - -

Deathwish by Red Sun Rising

I heard this song on the radio, and the lyrics "'Cause even the devil finds love/The devil finds love/Unless you're too late" were a perfect fit to the story! Also, the last few lyrics of the song kind of remind me of the end of the novel, when Lana is in the underworld and tells Jessa "let them come," essentially saying she's okay dying. She has a death wish.

"It's all right / We belong to each other tonight / In a world that looks for a fight / We got a death wish closing our eyes."

- - -

Dance, Dance by Fall Out Boy

Lana's obsessed with 2006 because I'm obsessed with 2006. That's when I really started listening to and developing my taste in music. Pop rock was super in at the time, so, of course, Fall Out Boy had to make this list... plus Lana literally plays the song during the book. I still listen to a lot of songs from 2006, by the way.

"Dance, dance/We're falling apart to halftime."

- - -

Pain by Three Days Grace

Another 2006 jam. This one is included because Lana quotes this song when she and Jessa are walking down Main Street, discussing her fall from Heaven. It's just angsty, which matches the scene pretty well, but it also rings true. Sometimes it's just easier to be angry than sad.

"Anger and agony are better than misery."

- - -

All the Good Girls Go to Hell by Billie Eilish

Oh I love Billy Eilish (I mean, who doesn't?). Honestly, I feel like song would make for an amazing trailer if this book was a movie (at least for the second half of the book when everything gets dark and we enter the underworld). I can just imagine this playing as you see Jessa riding in that little boat to hell...

"My Lucifer is lonely."

- - - 

Soul Meets Body by Death Cab for Cutie

Another mid-2000s song. I named the second to last chapter after this song--it matches (very literally) to that chapter. It's also just a very calming song that gives me good vibes.

"I want to live where soul meets body/And let the sun wrap its arms around me."

- - -

Second Chance by Shine Down

This song immediately popped into my head when I was writing the last chapter, which I named "Second Chances." It's a bittersweet song about going off on your own, not being angry, and saying goodbye, all things that match the ending of this novel.

"I'm not angry, I'm just saying/Sometimes goodbye is a second chance."