TWELVE: Tuesday - Pt. 2

I stayed in the art studio for the rest of the period, playing around with the watercolor paints while Taylor worked on her latest piece. The studio was a strange little bubble where I could pretend that the past few weeks hadn't happened. But as the clock hands drifted onwards, I knew I would see Lana again, and I wasn't looking forward to it.

When the bell finally rang, Taylor shooed me onwards. "Go on without me," she said. "I have to put all these paints away... I don't want to make you late."

"But you're going to be marked late," I pointed out.

Taylor batted away my concerns. "I have an old hall pass in my backpack. Security never looks at it close enough to realize the date is off by like three months. So I'll be fine."

"Okay," I said, "I'll see you in English then." And then I was off into the throng of students.

However, I was only halfway to class when I heard someone call my name.

I stopped, turned, and saw Alex Mason flagging me down.

"Alex," I said, trying to stop by face from twisting in confusion. "What's up?"

"Hey Jessa. Sorry to interrupt," he said, walking alongside me.  "I just... wanted to see how you were doing."

I felt my brows furrow. "About what?"

"About Lana." When I continued to stare at him blankly, he explained, "Lana sat with us at lunch today. She said you guys had a fight."

"Oh... yeah, that happened," I said. "But it's fine. I just... yeah it's whatever."

"Was it bad enough that you were thinking about skipping the dance?" Alex asked. "Lana mentioned that you guys had some plans and she had been excited..."

I rolled my eyes, realizing that Billy had probably been at that lunch table and she was trying to drum up some sympathy. I guess Lana isn't done trying to win him over. "I'm probably still gonna go," I said. "Honestly, I think I'm going to need a party by the end of this week."

"Oh. Cool," Alex said, his brown eyes darting to the wall. "Because, I was wondering if you... if maybe we could go together?"

I blinked, and then I blinked again, convinced I had heard him incorrectly.

Alex Mason had just asked me to the dance. Me.

My mouth felt dry, and for a moment, all I could do was stare at him, confused and numb. And then I nodded and said, "Um yeah, I think that could work."

He grinned suddenly, a look of relief crossing his face. "Awesome. Cool. So it's a Halloween thing, so give me a text if you have any costume ideas. I have to get to class so... I'll catch you later." And with that, he started to run off, although not before adding, "And I hope you and Lana patch things up!"

I paused for a moment, staring at Alex's retreating form. His last few words replayed in my head: I hope you and Lana patch things up.

I crinkled my nose. Did she...?

I took a deep breath and splayed my fingers, as if trying to feel something in the air. If Lana had used her magic on him, wouldn't the air smell of brimstone and fire? But I only breathed in the small of high school: stale hallway air with a hint of cologne.

I rushed to English class, but Lana wasn't there. In fact, she wasn't in any of my afternoon classes.

But she wasn't gone. I knew that because the teachers still called out her name, questioning her absence. She may not be at school, but she was still on Earth.