#1 Starts With A Text

It's a cold November evening as I sit in my bedroom, engrossed in the sadistic pleasure of watching The Notebook with butter popcorn, and contemplating the crappiness of my love life. Oh wait. That's right, I have no love life.

Suddenly, my phone beeps. 1 new message.

Sniffing, I pick it up. The message is from an unknown number and I almost consider ignoring it until my eyes fall on the text. It says –

'Hi, Caroline. This is Dave. You gave me your number in the cafeteria today, remember?'

Quick note: My name is Sarah Allen.

I just stare at the text till everything sets in. So I assume the story went something like this – Caroline gave Dave her number and Dave took it wrong or something and now it's got mixed up with my number.

Two things you should know as a reader – Caroline Roberts is the beautiful, arrogant queen bee of our school, and Dave Rodriguez is this super popular baddy boy whom I've had a crush on since forever. And me? I'm kind of like the page 2 of Google Search.

But here's the thing about Dave. He isn't loud, crazy or vulgar. He doesn't run over cats with his car or laugh at fart jokes. He is audacious, suave and simply intimidating. His smoky eyes and dangerously chiseled face doesn't help either. But his hours are mostly spent in late night parties or clubs or in detention. He has some illicit reputation around the school.

Okay. Phew. Let's get this straight.

Dave Rodriguez just freaking texted me.

The same guy I would always sneak glances at and attempt to write poetry about. The guy whose attention I am both desperate yet scared of. The guy who sends electricity down my spine every time our eyes meet. The guy I can barely get out of my mind.

This is unbelievable. I know he thinks that he texted Caroline but whatever, he technically texted me, didn't he?

It's at moments like these you feel like you have to take the absolute right action, or you're going to look back at this moment the rest of your life and resent it. And as for me, I do the stupidest thing ever. I reply, 'Hi, Dave. : )'

I did not just send him that! How could I be so desperate?

Well, it's not too late; maybe I can still clarify the confusion now? God, no, he already thinks I am Caroline.

Before the panic reaches a level higher, I hear my phone beep – 'You were really great today in the cheerleading squad ; )'

Dave Rodriguez sent me a winky? I would probably displace my bones if I tried to high jump, let alone cheerleading.

But this is wrong. Dave might be a desperate crush of mine, but I don't want to impress him undercover as someone else. This is just ridiculous! But then again, if I confess now, I'll look like an utter loser.

Oh my God, what have I done?

I bury my face in the pillow and try to make a simple flowchart of things that could happen right now.

1) I confess. Dave grows to hate me. The whole school thinks I'm a loser.

2) I continue texting as Caroline. Later.....I honestly don't know what will happen later. I'll think of something, but for the moment, I'll get to chat with Dave Rodriguez.

3) I jump off a cliff. Well, not happening. I haven't yet watched the finale of Supernatural.

So I decide on option 2. Play Along.

'Thanks! : )' – I send him.

And now I've officially tangled my life worse than my headphones.