#10 A Long Day Ahead

"Dave despises me now," I moan in despair as Jake pulls up his car in front of my house and helps me out. My head is fuzzy and my feet stagger mercilessly as he steers me to my doorstep. It's probably 3 am right now.

"Keys." He says.

"Dave despises me!" I yell into the air and flop backwards before Jake catches me briskly and helps me up.

"Giving you those drugs was such a mistake," I hear him mutter as he pulls out the keys out of my pocket and unlocks the door. He leads me through the living room and up the stairs.

"DAVE DESPISES ME, YOU HEAR THAT?" I yell as Jake clasps his hand over my mouth.

"Shhhhh!" He hisses, "Do you want to wake your Dad? Look, accidents happen. But on the bright side, Dave doesn't think you're boring anymore."

"Oh no, I hope slime rolling down his shirt didn't bore him."

He leads me to my room and I flop down on bed.

"Aren't you going to...uh...change?" He asks awkwardly.

"No," I pull the covers up over my head, feeling safe in the secluded warmth of the blankets.

Jake comes over and checks my forehead for fever. I shake his hand off like a moody kid.

"How are you feeling?"

"Just peachy."

"I'm sorry. Tonight was my fault. That stuff was strong."

"Nah, it's not your fault," I say, "It's my fault. I'm a GODDAMNED LOSER - "

He clasps my mouth once again, "Shut up! You'll wake your Dad!"

"Fuck my Dad!"

"Did you just – ?"

"Oh, yeah, I said it. Fuck, fuck, FUCK!"

"Okay, you proved yourself. Now just try to sleep, okay?"

Jake slowly goes out of my room, shutting the door behind him. I lie back down and close my eyes, never wanting to wake up again.

ooooo

I wake up to my alarm clock screeching out Highway to Hell. That darned machine has led me to absolutely detest the song. Then again, it's a symbolic way to start the day.

I slap it to silence. 6:00 am.

My mouth is dry and tastes of vomit. My head still feels heavy. My neck and forehead is covered in sweat. I realise I'm still clad in shirt and jeans and smell of alcohol.

The events of last night flash through my head and I bury my face in my pillow.

I remember the lights and the music. I remember clutching my mouth in horror. I remember Dave standing dumbfounded in shock and disgust, clutching his messy t-shirt. I remember some of the teens gasping, some laughing, some jeering, and some being as startled as we were. Eventually Jake volunteered to drop me home. I guess I even passed out in his car.

I've embarrassed myself in front of the whole school. Fan-freaking-tastic.

I lay there on the sheets, listening to the sound of my own strained breath. I feel like I'm going to throw up again. I recall having the same feeling when I had gone for an immunity checkup to the hospital the past week. I'm a frail-ass kid; I shouldn't be doing this to myself.

At length, I drag myself out of bed.

Dad's hopefully still asleep. Got to do some cleanup before he wakes up.

I take a shower and change into clean clothes. Then I carefully make my way downstairs and do the dishes that have been lying in the sink since last night. I lock the front door and place the keys neatly on the mantelpiece.

Today's my turn to fix breakfast. I decide on bread and butter. I'm too tired to think of anything else.

As I lay the plates on the table, Dad walks into the kitchen.

"Whoa," He says, "You're up early."

"Am I?" I laugh, trying to seem cheerful.

"I didn't even have to remind you to fix breakfast."

Is he suspecting me? Do I seem too cheerful?

He sits down anyway, and I join him.

"It's Valentine's Day." He says out of the blue.

I had forgotten. It's the dreaded 14th of February. But I know why Dad was trying to make conversation about this.

He clears his throat.

"No, Dad, I don't have a date. I'm not yet forty, remember?"

"I didn't say anything."

I roll my eyes.

As I get dressed for school, I can't get rid of the nervous fear crawling up in me. If I apologise to Dave today, I'll look like a dork. But if I don't, I'll look like a bigger dork.

I hope the day of Love will not be absolutely merciless to me.

**P.S. Stay tuned for a Valentine's Day special chapter ;) **